Pricing in weight opposed to per piece?

Dirke Botsford
@dirke-botsford
12/09/10 12:21:04AM
98 posts
Just getting things going here and am doing what I have been avoiding before the year runs out, figure out how to price our confections. By weight or by piece?

By the piece I can figure out, I think? how do you do it by weight? did I mention math is not my strong point?

What do you use? why? is one better than the other? I only ask because some shops want to buy by weight rather than per piece? Not sure why? Any advice would be great on any of the above....

updated by @dirke-botsford: 04/12/15 12:03:39PM
Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
12/09/10 11:48:15PM
194 posts

Dept of Ag tells me that I have to sell by weight, not piece. I get around this by pricing by the piece but putting the weight on the box. Did that make any sense?

Dirke Botsford
@dirke-botsford
12/10/10 12:28:06AM
98 posts

It makes sense. I am wonder why the weight is requested? I don't know anyone that would really care one way or another, I believe? Still want to work it out so i know. thanks for the input, it's appreciated

Clay Gordon
@clay
12/13/10 02:46:57PM
1,680 posts

Dirke:

Pricing by weight makes it easier for consumers to compare the prices of similar products. It's not a universal requirement ... there are many chocolate stores here in NYC that sell by the piece and do not advertise price/weight.

In Paris, I noticed that pricing was by weight for everything - boxed (which makes sense) and loose pieces.

Pricing by the piece makes sense to reduce sticker shock. A 15-gram piece costing $2 means that 2 pieces cost $4, which, to some, is less costly than $60+/pound, which is the equivalent.

In the end, I think it's really up to what are the local rules for pricing (if there are any - and where Ruth is there are), plus the local market's perception about pricing is.

I like the mix of both - professionally speaking - because it enables me to establish value for products based on my experience with other chocolates.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Dirke Botsford
@dirke-botsford
12/13/10 03:47:43PM
98 posts

thanks for the input, by the box does make sense and I already do that. Locally it's either or, nothing set. I will do some more research though.thanks

Robyn Dochterman
@robyn-dochterman
01/11/11 01:48:10AM
23 posts
It might make a difference who your customers are. Are they walk-in retail traffic in a touristy area? I started a shop last summer and priced by the piece, mainly because it was quick and simple to ring people up, and almost everyone bought out of the case. But if your customers will buy boxes, then that might make the most sense.
Casey Hickey
@casey-hickey
01/11/11 08:27:26AM
7 posts
i price by piece in my retail shop out of the case, and boxed chocolates are by collection. that is, they get a price break starting at 12 pieces if they buy boxed. otherwise you pay the same price/piece for smaller boxes (the 4pc and 6pc boxes) as you would buying out of the case. i DO put the weight on every box we pre-package, as that is required by Ag Dept, along with ingredient list and allergy info. my walk-in traffic does not balk at my per piece costs, but we're in a rather high-end district and are also part of a wine shop so that drives a certain type of customer anyway....

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores