New Here

Jennifer Arvan
@jennifer-arvan
12/15/10 07:56:46PM
2 posts

Life is full of twists and turns and around every one of them, I find chocolate. Or it finds me! I am a mere consumer/novice with an open mind to learning.

This year I hope to educate myself much better on this thing called chocolate.

My preference: Dark chocolate, bordering on black.

I live in the midwest U.S. and dang, it's cold here!

My daytime occupation is staff nurse in a busy intensive care unit at a rather large teaching hospital. By night, I am stir crazy! I like to mix and make things, ranging from cross stitch to sewing, to andmade olf-fashioned soap, to shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. My most current challenge was making homemade marshmallows.

I am thankful to be in the midst of seasoned pros and I look forward to learning a few things!

updated by @jennifer-arvan: 04/13/15 12:28:12PM
Bernt
@bernt
12/17/10 12:57:37AM
1 posts

Welcome, Jennifer!

I'm located in the Rocky Mountains....it's cold here too! Thank goodness for great chocolates that warm our hearts as well as our bellies! I'm pretty new myself but I have noticed that the members of "the chocolate life" are very friendly! I hope you'll enjoy this site as much as I have!

Richard Spehr
@richard-spehr
12/25/10 12:47:19PM
2 posts
Try reading (The Science of Chcolate by Stephen T Beck) It covers a lot of information regarding every aspect of Chocolate Making and it's history. It could make you an expert Chocolatier! CHEERS from Richard & Suzanne SPEHR from www.spehrnib.com
Java Cocoa
@java-cocoa
12/25/10 02:44:39PM
4 posts
Thanks for the link to more knowledge Richard! We green chocolatiers are always hungry for more things dark and delicious :-)
Clay Gordon
@clay
12/27/10 12:38:22PM
1,680 posts

Richard - it's Beckett, not Beck.

The Science of Chocolate provides a good overview of chocolate basics and a tiny bit of history. If you do plan to go into production then the more complete version, which costs a couple of hundred dollars, is one of the definitive reference guides and is highly recommended.

Link to The Science of Chocolate (hardcover - Amazon)

Link to Industrial Chocolate Manufacture and Use (hardcover - Amazon)

:: Clay

:: Clay

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores