Barry Callebaut hard coatings

Magrietha Hendrika du Plessis
@magrietha-hendrika-du-plessis
06/27/11 07:34:37AM
83 posts

Hi everyone, I have a major problem. For reasons of economy I have to use the Callebaut hard coating to dip my fudge balls in. The problem is that the balls does not shine at all. They are completely mat. I phoned the people I bought it from and they said I must put the fudge balls in the freezer before I dip them, but it made no difference.

Does anybody know anything that can help me? I need to have these things ready for tomorrow and it is already 13:33 South Africa!! So, please can anyone help?

updated by @magrietha-hendrika-du-plessis: 04/10/15 05:54:32PM
Sebastian
@sebastian
06/27/11 09:22:27AM
754 posts

What fat is in the coating? if it's a fractionated palm kernel, does it have a separate ingredient listing of 'partially hydrogenated xxx' or 'hydrogenated xxx'?

What temperature are your centers, your shop, and what are you doing with them immediately after you dip them? Do you have any idea what the RH is in your shop?

Very difficult to do trouble shooting from afar 8-) FYI, i'll be leaving for a couple of weeks very, very shortly, but will try to help until then.

06/27/11 09:42:48AM
83 posts

Thanks so much, The temperature where I am working is actually very low. At the moment it is about 10 degrees C. but when I started this morning it was about 6. As this is a little home industry I do not have too many resources, but I do not think the humidity is too high as it has not rained for a long time and it is now winter in South Africa where it is dry.

The center were actually very cold. Room temperature, feeling cold to the touch. So, to my mind far too cold, but then the people I bought it from said I must still put it in the freezer, which of course made it worse as I knew it would, but I did it simply to prove it.

I'm wondering if I should not make the centers a little warmer, maybe a few seconds in the oven?

After I have dipped them I once again leave them at room temperature. I do not have facilities for a warmer surroundings. I am beginning to wonder if I should not try and dip them again in the morning and should wait for it to become a little warmer.

One thing is for sure, I am not gong to have this batch ready in time as I will have to start all over. I do not even want to think about the cost.

06/27/11 09:43:39AM
83 posts
O yes, I forgot to say it has the terrible hydrogenated fat in it!!
Sebastian
@sebastian
06/27/11 09:51:42AM
754 posts

W/o knowing the oil used (you didn't answer if it said fractionated or not - only that it had the hydrogenated), it's difficult to say for certain. My strong suspicion is that it's a modified palm kernel oil with a structuring fat (that's the hydrogenated bit) - which is good. I also think, based on what i know thus far, that you've got a cooling problem - you centers are likely too cold, and you should be providing cooling to the dipped pieces after they've been dipped, if this is indeed the fat system i think it is. I'd try using warmer centers (your room temp is still pretty cool!). Melt your coating to 120F (sorry, i don't think well in C), and cool it down to 95 or so, then dip your centers that are no longer frozen, and then put them into the refrigerator. If RH is as low as you say it is, condensation won't be an issue.

I hope that helps - again, very difficult to trouble shoot from afar with limited details...if the matte appearance doesn't go away, does your product design allow you to roll them in cocoa powder to mask the dullness while maintaining aesthetics?

06/27/11 09:57:49AM
83 posts

Yes thanks so much. I think it is the centers that are too cold and even maybe the coating that is not warm enough. I will look up to C and check it. They box does not say more than hydrogenated so I do not really know which it is.

Ok, so I have got a few things to try till tomorrow and we will see what the results are. I think you hit the nail with the temperatures. I'll have to get them right.

I appreciate your help, I feel as if I am on a different planet as I cannot find anyone here willing to help me. Either they cannot and the rest do not want to help.

I will report back once I have given attention to all the issues you mentioned.

Thanks

Magriet

Sebastian
@sebastian
06/27/11 12:43:58PM
754 posts

good luck!

Mark Heim
@mark-heim
06/27/11 07:37:25PM
101 posts
A key difference between cocoa butter and compound coatings aside from temper - no temper, is compound coatings do better if chilled faster than you would chocolate. Probably why Callebaut recommended freezing the centers. I've had good luck with ambient centers and fast cooling. Another reason for the matt finish could be the coating itself. Did the block or pieces you received have a good shine? Try some in a mold, where you get the best shine compared to enrobing/dipping, and if still a matt finish after cooling quickly, try a different coating.
Sebastian
@sebastian
06/27/11 08:12:32PM
754 posts
well, that can be true, but it isn't a de-facto difference between ccb and non-ccb fats. many non-ccb fat systems benefit greatly from tempering (although the tempering used may be different than that which you'd use for ccb). cooling can be very important - for example, a fractionated palm kernal base needs to be cooled at a moderate rate - too slow and it'll go massive (massive as in the technical term used in classical crystal formation), too fast and it'll case harden. Cooling faster is often times the worst thing you can do to a coating - but it depends greatly on the fat system being used, and the type and quantity of cooling you have available. Additionally, many non ccb fat systems benefit from the use of structuring lipids (cote hi or stearine are often used in the states) to provide the backbone against which the rest of the fat scan structure itself around.
06/29/11 08:24:20AM
83 posts

Thanks all of you. I puzzled it all out with your help. My centers were too cold. I heated them a little and then after dipping them I placed them in the fridge and they came out lovely and shining. Ohh yes and I did heat the coating up to 120f and then brought it down to about 95F before I started the dipping.

This was all on instructions from the client (using the coating) now it is not good enough as it tasted "horrible" so on to learning hoe to temper! Be sure you will soon get questions about that. I'm going to read all there is at the moment first. I have never covered the fudge balls with couverture before, but there is always a first. At least, if someone wants a cheaper product again I will know how to do it. quite a jump from normal fudge to chocolate covered fudge!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores