Mycryo Powder

Magrietha Hendrika du Plessis
@magrietha-hendrika-du-plessis
06/29/11 11:06:30AM
83 posts

As you all know by now I am a complete newby, I have only used coating up to now. I am moving on to the real thing. What I would like to know is. if I use mycryo powder for my tempering, can I try and re-temper after the inevitable problems when learning? I am aware I will not get it right for quite a few tries and cannot afford lots of chocolate. Should I rather try the seed method so that I can use the same chocolate over and over for practice?

I need to master this as fast as possible because there is not a lot of time until I need to be ready. I will be at it all of the next weeks (months, years?) so any advice will help. I have read all the post about tempering but I cannot find this one about the mycryo powder and re-using the chocolate to practice.

Thanks

Magriet

updated by @magrietha-hendrika-du-plessis: 04/12/15 05:49:23AM
06/30/11 02:45:58AM
83 posts

Hi, anyone PLEASE! I need to know what to do here.

Thanks

magriet

Mark Heim
@mark-heim
06/30/11 07:44:58AM
101 posts
The Mycryo powder is a type 6 cocoa butter crystal. Instead of tempering by traditional methods to develop 3-7% type 5 crystal, you just add the powder as the crystal needed.Many times stays as small lumps that can be dispersed with an immersion blender This is because the type 6 crystal has a higher melt point than you use in chocolate tempering to form the type 5. However this is an expensive way to go and not recommended for regular use. It adds more cocoa butter to your chocolate, changing its flow properties, and if reused you just keep adding more cocoa butter. The powder is more for a quick and dirty way to temper a little chocolate, but not recommended for larger batches. The biggest downside is it doesn't help you learn to temper as you normally would. They use the powder as much for glazing meats and vegetables with spices as for chocolate. There are many sites to learn how to temper chocolate. Ask 10 people and you'll get 12 ways to do it. Find one you're comfortable using based on how much you're tempering, play with it and you'll have your own way.
06/30/11 08:06:28AM
83 posts

Thanks Mark, you are confirming my "gut" feeling that it is not the best way to go. I have tried one batch with the seeding method as I have seen it on quite a few sites. I had some "beginners" luck and it actually cam out fine. A good crack, it did not come out of the mold too well, but that is because I got impatient.

I think I will go with this method for a while and see how it goes. Once we are really on our feet it will be time to think of at least a melting pot if not a tempering machine.

Sorry for asking basic questions, but I need a little hand holding here and there is no one else I can turn to. I know there are quite a few good chocolatiers in South Africa, but everyone is being very secretive.

George Trejo
@george-trejo
07/01/11 01:15:59AM
41 posts

The issue with Mycryo is it is 100% cocoa butter, so as you add more you inevitably change the viscosity of the chocolate. While you may not notice the first or second time, as you go on you will notice.

However, if you 100% follow the Mycryo directions to the letter, you shouldn't have an issue. As you go in to commercial production though the added cost of Mycryo is outweighed by other tempering options.

07/01/11 03:00:46AM
83 posts
Thanks George, it boils down to the fact that I simply have to master the technique of tempering.
Clay Gordon
@clay
07/01/11 11:13:24AM
1,680 posts

Magrietha:

If you're working with chocolate in any capacity, understanding tempering should be considered a starting point - even if you're using automatic tempering machines. They're not perfect and it's fundamentally necessary to be able to recognize good temper (and when the chocolate is not in good temper!) and to be able to temper by hand when necessary.

It gives you far greater control, yes - but also far greater confidence, and that's not to be underestimated.

:: Clay

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
07/01/11 11:54:31AM
83 posts

Thanks for the encouragement Clay, I need it and I now know to fulfill my dream I will have to practice the skill of tempering. I know it is not going to be an easy road, but with you guys to help me I will make it.

Magriet

Bayla Sussman
@bayla-sussman
07/05/11 01:37:25PM
10 posts
Magriet, Mycryo does have its place. Once in a while there isn't time for a proper tempering (I use a large warmer) and the Mycryo helps. Just don't over use it; don't rely on it. And don't use it for white or milk chocolate. Once in a while, my dark chocolate will go 'off' during the day. Then a little, actually less that the full recommended weight can refresh it again. It's expensive to experiment, but you have to play a little to find what works for you. I'm still learning, always will be.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores