My recent chocolate travels

Thomas Forbes
@thomas-forbes
02/13/12 05:18:31PM
102 posts

Discovered Eataly on 25th and Broadway in NYC last week. Nice selection of Italian chocolate and confections. Bought truffles and a Barbero bar, Santo Domingo 70%. $8.80 for 3.5 oz. Very good.

Since I was in the neighborhood, I passed by Burdick and said hello to a former student of mine who works there. Purchased a Venezuelan bar and a Bolivian bar which were fantastic.

Hit Black Hound on Friday and had a few truffles. The young women who waited on me was from Haitian ethnicity and when I showed her my chocolate paste, she said her Dad brings it back from the Dominican Republic when he goes. She also gave me a white chocolate truffle which I can do without next time.

Sunday my wife and I drove to Maryland and took a Chocolate 101 class with Crisoire Reid at Spag n Vola. Her husband Eric sat down with us and was very generous with his time and advice. His partner Justin does a nice tour of their operations and is very engaging. A groups of about 12 people made ganache, rolled truffles, table tempered, and dipped. I was their mostly to meet them and was very impressed with the quality of their chocolate. They have their own farm in the DR and have complete control from tree to bon bon. You must try it.

Today I visited Fika downtown in the financial district. You can watch the chocolatier mold through a glass window. I introduced myself and he was very nice and willing to spend to time speaking with me. Fika means coffee break in Swedish. Had three truffles and a sandwich.

updated by @thomas-forbes: 05/14/15 08:05:10PM

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores