Question on using double molds

Kris Schoofs
@kris-schoofs
03/14/12 09:08:33AM
9 posts

I was thinking about trying out this double polycarbonate mould from Chocolate world: http://goo.gl/UaJo6

I'm familiar with regular (single) moulds but I've never used double moulds before. I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on how to use them?

Do I simply make hollow shells in both moulds (just like with regular moulds), then fill both halfs with a filling and then put them both together? However, in this scenario it appears that you're relying on the filling to keep both halves together? So I would assume that this also requires a filling that crystalizes sufficiently? Or is there a way to make the actual chocolate shells adhere to eachother?

Also, I was wondering if it is possible to also make hollow figures with this double mould? Now there's no filling to keep both halves together, so I was thinking about partially filling the first mould, then putting the 2nd mould on top and covering the entire inner surface of both moulds with chocolate by vigorously shaking the entire mold?

Any info on this is much appreciated.

Kris

updated by @kris-schoofs: 04/29/15 06:35:18AM
Gap
@gap
03/14/12 05:20:05PM
182 posts

I think I have seen this mould before and it is a standard type mould that just happens to have a front and back for the bunny (ie., it's not a3D mould where you clip the back/front together while moulding).

That said, you can do either filling or no filling. Make your shells (and fill if desired). Unmould. Heat a tray in the oven to approx 40C and quickly touch the edges of your shells to the tray and then press/hold them together. It only needs a small amount of melted chocolate to make the two halves stick together.

Hope that I've explained myself clearly

Cheers

Mark Heim
@mark-heim
03/14/12 07:32:30PM
101 posts

If it is a 3D mould, you can use it like a book mould to fill. If the filling is runny, you back off one half like its own finished piece, then turn over to adhere to the second half. If you don't need the support of the chocolate backing, make your shells but when you invert to empty, let stay inverted until it starts to set, then clean. Some will set inverted on parchment paper for cooling to insure a flat, wider edge. This will give you a thicker edge to adhere to the other half. Warm where you want the chocolate to fuse when you combine.

To do a hollow figure, as you said, put the chocolate you need in one half, seal the halves, but don't shake or you'll have nothing but bubbles. Just turn the mould in all directions so it flows everywhere. Keep turning until it sets enough to stop flowing, then cool and demould. If seasonal, you can reverse paint the inside of the mould with colored cocoa butter. Doing a hollow figure make sure the mould is no more than a few degrees cooler than your tempered chocolate, you'll need the time to get a nice even coating.

Gap
@gap
03/14/12 08:22:33PM
182 posts

Should have added: when you make your shells (and fill if desired), don't back them off. Just turn them out as is.

Kris Schoofs
@kris-schoofs
03/15/12 03:14:29PM
9 posts

Thank you all for your feedback. Impatiently awaiting the arrival of the moulds so I can get started :-)

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores