Help with chocolate setting (Bittersweet) (PICS)

Erica Rodriguez-Anthony
@erica-rodriguez-anthony
03/24/12 05:12:26PM
13 posts

Hi! My name is Erica, I live in FL and I'm happy to be here! This is my First Post and I have a problem/question....I usually use Merckens Candy coating when making my chocolate, but now am experimenting with real chocolate since I now have the Revolation 2 tempering machine (as of this AM!) IM SOOOOO EXCITED. However heres my question, when I use bittersweet chocolate, it seems that it never sets. Now, I am not tempering it, I'm melting the baking chips down in the microwave in small incriments and then dipping my pretzels, oreos, etc, but b/c this chocolate (bittersweet) literally melts in your hand its not ideal for anything I'm creating. How do you transform bittersweet chocolate so that it will actually set and have the "snap" that is ideal? Will tempering help at all? Thanks in advance! Erica

1199-chocospurplefade.jpg 1201-bwpreset.jpg?width=750

updated by @erica-rodriguez-anthony: 04/13/15 08:29:20AM
Kerry
@kerry
03/24/12 06:13:39PM
288 posts

Yup - tempering is the solution to your problem.

And welcome to the forums Erica.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Erica Rodriguez-Anthony
@erica-rodriguez-anthony
03/24/12 08:29:52PM
13 posts

Really that's it? I just have to run it thru the tempering machine and temper it? Great! Yeah! Thanks - will try it tonight! It seems so unreasonable how just altering the temperature can completely change the feel and consistency, without acutally changing/adding anything to the material (chocolate) Thanks!

Kerry
@kerry
03/24/12 08:37:24PM
288 posts

It's all about producing the correct type of crystals in the cocoa butter so that when it cools the crystals form a nice lattice that contracts. This give chocolate with gloss, snap, the expected mouth feel and resistance to melting at room temperature.

--
www.eztemper.com

Erica Rodriguez-Anthony
@erica-rodriguez-anthony
03/24/12 08:46:40PM
13 posts

Awesome! Thanks so much for the welcome!

Erica Rodriguez-Anthony
@erica-rodriguez-anthony
03/25/12 12:46:48PM
13 posts

Ok. well my first attempt at tempering bittersweet chocolate baking chips went relatively well except for the way they set. I let them set overnight in my kitchen, didnt put in fridge or anything. Room temp in my house was about 73-75 degrees. As you can see in these 3 pics below they have a lighter color swirling thru them that is making it look discolored, old and nasty. I think this is referred to as 'bloom'. What did I do wrong and how can I prevent this from happening?

1203-IMG07758201203250859.jpg

. 1205-IMG07759201203250859.jpg 1207-IMG07757201203250859.jpg

Kerry
@kerry
03/25/12 01:12:04PM
288 posts

So you tempered with your Revolation? What settings did you use?

--
www.eztemper.com

Erica Rodriguez-Anthony
@erica-rodriguez-anthony
03/25/12 02:45:30PM
13 posts

I used dark chocolate setting (108 default point) then I did seed method #2 but then changed it to seed method #1 mid cycle.... maybe thats where I messed up. I shouldnt have done that.

Oh also, I used Ghirardelli chocolate, but wanted to ask if my seed chocolate could be a different brand or would that mess it up.Thanks!

Kerry
@kerry
03/25/12 02:51:53PM
288 posts

I used to have a sinsation - which is what has become the revolation - but I don't recall it having more buttons than just one for milk, white and dark - so not quite sure what the seed method #1 vs #2 refers to. I assume the ghiradelli is 'real' chocolate. You can use any dark chocolate for seed as long as it is clearly in temper.

--
www.eztemper.com

Kathryn James
@kathryn-james
03/26/12 10:48:29AM
11 posts

Having your room temperature at 68 degrees F is the ideal. I would suggest trying again, let the chocolate set with the room at that temperature, and see if that takes care of the problem.

Erica Rodriguez-Anthony
@erica-rodriguez-anthony
03/26/12 10:50:21AM
13 posts

Thanks for the feedback Kerry and Kathryn! I tried again yesterday and the same thing happened with my chocolate covered pretzels. I will try a different chocolate, then try the 68 degrees. Thanks!!

Erica Rodriguez-Anthony
@erica-rodriguez-anthony
03/30/12 04:38:13PM
13 posts

Thank you so much for the suggestion! Can you please tell me where I can get the "Myrcryo from Barry Callabaut" you are referring to? Thanks in advance.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores