Legally protecting your chocolate brand?

Felipe Jaramillo F.
@felipe-jaramillo-f
05/04/12 07:00:56PM
55 posts

Hi all,

Could anyone share the steps they had to take to legally protect their chocolate brand? I understand each country has different laws and getting worldwide protection may be a costly proposition for an artisan chocolate maker.

Thanks!

Felipe

updated by @felipe-jaramillo-f: 04/21/15 04:26:15AM
rene
@rene
05/06/12 05:13:08AM
23 posts

but those are the steps that you must take if you need to protect your brand :)

Felipe Jaramillo F.
@felipe-jaramillo-f
05/06/12 08:24:02PM
55 posts

Thank you for the reply Rene. Not sure if it is common practice, though.

How many are actually protecting their brands?In which countries aside from their current operation?

And even then, how feasible is it for a small chocolatier to prosecute offenders?

Clay Gordon
@clay
05/07/12 11:04:16AM
1,680 posts

In the US (and internationally), you would apply for Trademark protection. That's the meaning of the or following a name or image. The means that the application is in but is still in the process of being approved. The means that the trademark has been registered. I believe that this nomenclature is the same around the world, what differs is the process of application in each country. Also, you can trademark a word or phrase (as long as it's non-descriptive; i.e., you couldn't trademark "corn flakes" but "frosted flakes" is okay) and/or an image (Coca-Cola has trademarked the name "coca-cola" the image of the words, and the shape of their wasp-waisted bottle).

There might be one trademark registration for the entire EU, but otherwise it's a country-by-country process, IIRC. And yes, it is expensive. In the US, you can only trademark something that is either in actual interstate commerce or is about to go into distribution.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Felipe Jaramillo F.
@felipe-jaramillo-f
05/07/12 11:52:13PM
55 posts

Clay, thanks for the insight on the difference between TM and (R) as well as the requirement for interstate commerce or being about to go into distribution.

rene
@rene
05/09/12 10:24:06AM
23 posts

in US you need to start selling or have your product on the market before you apply for protection, but it's not the case in EU.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores