Problem with sun fading the chocolate.

Jeffrey
@jeffrey
07/30/12 11:00:06PM
4 posts

I am having trouble with the sun shining/glaring into my store and causing some of the chocolates to bloom. The sun does not shine directly in but when cars park in front of the store the glare from them makes our chocolates bloom. I am looking into getting our windows tinted but I don't want to get them tinted too dark as I want people to be able to look in. I am looking for advice on how to solve this problem.

Thanks,

Jeff

updated by @jeffrey: 04/17/15 05:45:21PM
Edward J
@edward-j
07/31/12 12:38:20AM
51 posts

Tinting can get expensive, depending on the film, the size of windows, if you have it done or do it yourself, and how much sun you want to block out. (the darker the film, the more expensive) If you work in a Strata bldg, or have a land lord looking for any kind of excuse, it's best not done. And if the a window ever needs replacing you have to re-apply all over again

Blinds are your best option. I have the finest blinds Ikea has--at $20.00 a pop. This is the gauzy type of open mesh material that actually looks classy, and you can roll it up or down as you wish. Venetian blinds are another option, but are a dust magnet, bamboo is another option

Jeremy Rushane
@jeremy-rushane
10/13/12 01:09:44AM
20 posts

This is what I did in our retail store... not through this company, but you get the idea... I paid $1200 to cover the front of my store (two 8x8 blinds) and had photographs printed on the blinds. one is of caramel apples and the other of dipped strawberries. so... when the sun is shining directly into my store and I have to lower the blinds.... (always in the early morning winter months.... i don't have to lower blinds in the summer because we have an awning that protects the windows....) I am still advertising products that I sell daily....

I have my employees lower them at night and then i roll them up at about 10 am sept oct nov.... 11am dec jan feb mar.... 10am apr may jun july and august they don't need to be lowered. It all depends on how the sun hits the front of your store.

morning sun is intense and damaging but i don't think i would want those shades down in the afternoon.... note to those opening new locations..... this is something you never think of when you are opening a new store.... "When does the sun hit my window?" Shades down often says CLOSED to your customers..... you want those shades down as little as possible.

even if there is snow on the ground outside, the sun can melt chocolate through the window. if the shades are down, the doors are open..... i don't care how cold it gets....

I hope this helps.... check out the link for an idea....

http://www.blindsgalore.com/WindowProduct.asp?id=709416&ph=36&pw=24&utm_medium=shoppingfeed&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CIrX_qmY_bICFQjZQgodvnYAyQ

Edward J
@edward-j
10/13/12 01:19:48AM
51 posts

Nope. Strata is very picky about that, and it is expensive to install and darkens the room dramatically. Also, if the window ever needs to be replaced, new film has to be installed.

No, I'm happy with my el-cheapo Ikea blinds

Jeffrey
@jeffrey
10/14/12 12:56:10AM
4 posts

I ended up getting my windows and doors tinted soon after
I posted. I paid about $500 for the tint and installation. So far
I have not had any problems since we had the windows tinted.

Jeffrey
@jeffrey
10/19/12 12:54:39AM
4 posts

The film we used was from a company called Solar Gard. We had 4 32"x 32" windows and 2 doors tinted. We ended up going with a film that was slightly tinted but not too dark so you cant see in. During the day there are times when the sun is shining on the windows and it is hard to see in. So far we did not have any more damage to products in the store. The only damage we had were some chocolate pretzels in the window display melting.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores