Dark Chocolate..

darlene gorman
@darlene-gorman
08/04/12 16:22:33
1 posts

I am working with the medium dark chocolate..and wanted to know if it is always is supose to be placed in the refrigerator after pouring..I need some suggestions.

Thank you

updated by @darlene-gorman: 04/16/15 10:13:59
Clay Gordon
@clay
08/07/12 13:35:43
1,680 posts

Darlene:

When you say you are working with ... what are you making? Most chocolate products can benefit from being but in a cool (not cold) place after pouring to ensure proper crystallization, however most refrigerators are set way too cold.

Ideally, your working environment is between 60-68F. Crystallization can be done effectively at about 55F, but it's important to have sufficient air flow to remove the latent heat of crystallization. Most refrigerators are set at about 39F and don't have nearly enough air flow.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
darlene
@darlene
08/07/12 14:06:11
10 posts

I am using Felchlin and pouring into molds but my last batch was marbleing,I have a REV 1 to start out with but was letting my suckers air dry in room tempature almost 68 degrees , is that too warm? WOW it sooo hard to start all over! Lesson learned.

Thank you,Clay.

Daniela Vasquez
@daniela-vasquez
08/07/12 15:36:24
58 posts

After tempering? Ive noticed it depends on the climate you have where youre working, I like to leave it at room temp until the edges start to pre-crystallize, and then put it in the fridge. But if the day is slightly hot I put right in the fridge

darlene
@darlene
08/15/12 15:56:42
10 posts

So Clay,, Would you say I need the proper refrigerator..I am still having this problem.

Thank You

Clay Gordon
@clay
08/16/12 14:05:26
1,680 posts

Darlene:

First off, chocolate doesn't have any water in it, so you're not letting it dry, you're letting it cool down so that the proper crystals form in the cocoa butter. If you're working in a room that's 68F you don't necessarily need to go a lot cooler. I would start out thinking about the Rev 1 - and for that I need to know if the marbling effect you refer to is new, or is something that's always been an issue.

How long do you wait to start pouring after the Rev 1 beeps at you and tells you it's ready?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores