Help with flavored oils

Matt4
@mattworks
12/09/14 07:57:41PM
12 posts

Hey Guys,

I have a question regarding flavored oils in chocolate.

Does anyone know the threshold of flavored oils in chocolate? Currently, I am using a vanilla extract in my chocolate but I'm not getting a strong enough vanilla flavor. The ratio I'm using is 1/2 table spoon per pound of chocolate. Can I just up my oil to a tablespoon per pound or will that compromise the chocolate?

Thanks!!!

updated by @mattworks: 04/09/15 05:50:16PM
David Menkes
@david-menkes
03/26/15 03:51:45AM
32 posts

Dunno if you've figured out since you posted but vanilla extract tends to have alcohol and won't work in chocolate - in fact, the more you add, the more you'll end up with a thick sludge and won't be able to temper. Have you tried using vanilla bean? You can add as much as you want.

Thomas Snuggs
@thomas-snuggs
03/26/15 10:43:19AM
23 posts

I just made some chocolate and then flavored it with some orange and peppermint oils. It was two different batches. I used about 15 to 20 drops per pound. This was the first time I used essential oils to flavor my chocolate. After I tempered my chocolate, I added drops of oil, stirred and then tasted it. I kept adding drops until I was happy with the taste.

Sebastian
@sebastian
03/28/15 07:48:36AM
754 posts

Most 'off the shelf' vanilla extracts are what's called a single fold (1x) concentration, and use alcohol.  alcohol based flavors will be just fine in chocolate, just keep the concentration less than 1%.  As there are higher concentrations of alcohol (2x, 4x, 6x, etc) one can't really say  how much is the right amount, you'll need to p lay with levels a bit to find that out for yourself.  Other oils have differenet strengths - essential oils for example can be very, very, very potent - to the point where you may have a difficult weighing out a small enough quantity accurately to be consistent.  If you're getting oils from grocery stores (ie consumer type flavorants) those have already been heavily diluted to make it easier for the home cook to manage.

mariano garcia
@mariano-garcia
05/10/15 03:29:45PM
61 posts

Any recommendations oils brand chocolate?

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores