Hispanola and Sanchez

Thomas Forbes
@thomas-forbes
05/15/12 06:01:55PM
102 posts

In the Dominican Republic the differential between fermented and unfermented cacao is called Hispanola and Sanchez respectively. I was wondering how do they differentiate in other countries around the world? I have read that somewhere between 12 and 15 percent of the cacao out of the DR is fermented. Other countries like Grenada all the cacao is fermented from what I have read. How are the different types of cacao labeled in other countries and which countries have more fermented cacao and why?

FYI There is a small town on the Samana Peninsula called Sanchez. From what Don Hector Rizek told me, because the cacao was shipped out of the town it was called Sanchez. I guess no one fermented Dominican cacao back then.

Does anyone know when fermentation started to develop in countries like the Dominican Republic and when the name Hispanola was first used?

updated by @thomas-forbes: 04/14/15 07:55:37PM

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores