Is Chocovic really going out of production?

Sandra Andrews-Strasko
@sandra-andrews-strasko
02/23/11 03:09:56AM
8 posts
I heard a rumor... can anyone substantiate?
updated by @sandra-andrews-strasko: 04/13/15 05:17:26AM
Clay Gordon
@clay
02/23/11 03:39:17PM
1,680 posts

The previous owners of Chocovic (Nederland Group) sold Chocovic to Barry Callebaut in 2009.

BC bought the company (the deal closed December 2009) because they needed the production capacity - and it was (I heard) cheaper to buy the company than to build a new factory from scratch.

Last I checked, Chocovic's recipes were still being produced and sold under the Chocovic brand.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Gap
@gap
02/23/11 04:12:07PM
182 posts
I have seen recent advertising from Callebaut still keeping the distinct Chocovic brand which would support what Clay is saying
Masur
@masur
02/25/11 07:30:36AM
31 posts

Chocovicstill has an independentdistributor in Sweden (sama as before BC bought the company).

Sandra Andrews-Strasko
@sandra-andrews-strasko
03/03/11 05:11:42AM
8 posts

ok so Chocovic is like Scharffen Berger, bought by a big one but still sold under the same label with the same manufacturing process. Does that usually work?

Clay Gordon
@clay
03/03/11 10:31:10AM
1,680 posts
Callebaut has a lot of experience making these kinds of acquisitions work, and they have a lot more experience in the market segment than Hershey did (and still does not have). So - Callebaut are far more likely to be able to make it work, given the will to do so.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores