Caffeine and theobromine

ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
04/24/08 10:05:26AM
251 posts
I've read that chocolate may not even have caffeine in it after all but only similar stimulants, one of which is theobromine. What do you think? Can anyone point to a definitive answer to this?A related question-- I've seen lists of how much caffeine is in dark chocolate. How do they measure that, and doesn't the amount of stimulant vary with the cacao percentage? Surely a 100% bar of 100g has more stimulant than a 55% bar of the same size.
updated by @chocofiles: 05/18/15 05:35:43AM
Alan McClure
@alan-mcclure
04/24/08 10:56:36AM
73 posts
It depends upon the genetics of the cacao. Some cacaos, such as some Criollo-type populations, have about an equivalent amount of caffeine to their theobromine levels. In fact, it even seems possible for there to be Criollo-type populations with slightly more caffeine than theobromine. Other cacao, such as hybrid and Forastero populations, have far more theobromine. I haven't seen results of any with 0 mg/g of caffeine, but there are some that come close. However, it isn't possible to make a blanket statement that all Forastero has almost 0mg/g of caffeine, because some Forastero populations have more. That is about as definitive an answer as I am aware of.Best,Alan

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores