What kind of dark chocolate pairs best with Sea Salt?

Darri
@darri
06/13/13 04:30:04PM
1 posts

I've been trying out a bunch of chocolate varieties and trying to figure out which textures, flavors and aromas pair best with crispy flake sea salt, and I'm curious to find out what others think.

updated by @darri: 04/20/15 01:57:58PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
06/14/13 08:09:43AM
1,680 posts

Darri -

I have to ask the same question about the sea salt - crispy flake says a little about the texture but nothing about the saltiness and other flavors that might be in the salt.

There are hundreds of different kinds of dark chocolate and many, many different flavors and texture of salt to consider.

Your challenge, I think, is to balance the saltiness of the salt with the chocolates you are using. Some chocolates can "stand up" to more salt, some chocolates can't, and need less salt. I would first start experimenting with a very limited number of chocolates and then play with the amounts of salt being used and how the salt is used (sprinkled on the surface, mixed in).

One thing to consider is that salt can reduce the sensation of bitterness. You may find that more bitter chocolates can take more salt, and that when the bitterness is reduced, that other flavors will come out.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores