peanut butter meltaway problem

Nicole5
@nicole5
12/08/14 08:51:51AM
35 posts

I've been making a peanut butter meltaway using peanut butter, milk chocolate and coconut oil. There are times when that meltaway center develops a...texture. It's not quite gritty, because the little lumps melt away, but it's not as smooth as I'd like it.

I'm not sure if this has something to do with the temps of each item in the meltaway, or the order in which they are put together.

Can anyone shed light on this? Most often they are perfect.

updated by @nicole5: 04/09/15 01:00:00PM
Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
12/08/14 09:56:12AM
194 posts

Meltaways need to be tempered. You may have lucked out in the past. Combine tempered chocolate and cooled coconut oil. stir in peanut butter and place over a bowl of ice. Keep stirring until mixture thickens. Pour into frame. That should get the correct crystals forming. You can always remelt the grainy batch and retemper.

Kerry
@kerry
12/08/14 10:01:44AM
288 posts

What Ruth said!

There is a eutectic effect of one fat on another. So if you combine chocolate and coconut oil the cocoa butter and the coconut fat interact. Ditto with the peanut butter fat. The melting point of the new fat produced is different from the melting point of the starting fats and it will not necessarily be a temperature half way between the two - it can be higher or lower than either alone.

The tempering allows that fat to crystallize in a stable form.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Nicole5
@nicole5
12/08/14 10:14:19AM
35 posts

Thank you so much for helping me with this!

Abraham Baime
@abraham-baime
12/17/14 01:35:16PM
1 posts

Is it possible to get your recipe amounts for the peanut butter meltaways?

Thanks

Nicole5
@nicole5
12/18/14 06:06:39PM
35 posts

updated by @nicole5: 01/31/16 06:51:31AM

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores