Adding heat to Chocolate Pan

Colin Green
@colin-green
09/05/12 04:33:27AM
84 posts

I am buying a pan to increase capacity in my small chocolate set-up. Most suppiers stress that they have heating on their pans but I fail to see why. It has the effect that a pan drawing 1.5Kw needs a further 4Kw for the heater and as I am already having to consider installing a three phase power converter too it ups my price significantly.

On my current small pan (15kg) I have no heating although I do sometimes cheat and smooth out the choclate covered coffee beans with careful application of heat from a blower. But I consider that a "cheat" - not a requirement.

I saw on another post here that a member assumed that he'she would need heating - so I hesitate as I don't consider myself an expert in this area. But as I say, I just don't see the point!

Is it that other forms of confectionery (ie, not chocolate) need added heat and that is why it's supplied? Or am I missing something that might become glaringly obvious when I get to the much larger volumes (70Kg load) that the new system will hopefully deliver? I really acn't easily afford to do this wrong. Thanks!

updated by @colin-green: 04/09/15 12:59:15PM
Edward J
@edward-j
09/11/12 11:08:31PM
51 posts

The Germans and the Swiss love thier "Gebrannte Mandeln", or sugar coated/carmelized whole almonds. Some of these panning machines can be very elaborate and expensive affairs

Colin Green
@colin-green
09/11/12 11:53:48PM
84 posts

Thanks Edward. I wondered if something like that may be the answer. I DO find it helpful to be able to add a dab of heat from time to time but don't think this is industry practise.

Anyway, I have ordered my pan and now await for it to arrive!

Brian Donaghy
@brian-donaghy
09/13/12 11:01:41AM
58 posts

Heat into the pan, in addition to the cheat, allows you to use the same, non-ribed, pan for polishing without the use of a commercial glaze.

brian

Colin Green
@colin-green
09/13/12 09:47:30PM
84 posts

That's pretty interesting Brian. Thanks for that. So I assume that all of the chocolate coating the pan interior melts off and adheres to the product? Don't you get "dents" in the product where it comes in contact with the hard stainless steel pan without the cushioning effect of the chocolate lining? I assume that you still need to seal with shellac? If so, wouldn't the product lack "grip" without the chocolate lining or ribs? Or is that in another pan?

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores