AS / SAN plastic Molds vs PC Molds

Lee2
@lee2
02/26/14 09:41:30PM
33 posts

Been shopping for molds.

I've noticed molds in "AS" in addition to the standardpolycarbonate (PC). Anyone have molds made ofAS plastic? If I'm making the connection right, according to Wikipedia , AS is a B short of ABS, which last I checked wasn't food grade or even non-toxic. (That said I did chew no a fair amount of lego as a kid and I'm just fine today lol)

It's interesting because the place I'm seeing the molds sells two versions of just about every shape, cheaper in AS, pricier in PC (22 vs 35, not dollars but you get the idea).

Thanks!

Lee

Edit : I now see this , so maybe even the polycarb molds have BPA, a famous good-times toxin. EWG also says avoid polycarbonate .

Edit 2: I see now that ABS is only "made" of toxic stuff, and is very stable as a finished product. A crylonitrile styrene (AS) or styrene acrylonitrile (SAN) is seemingly an equally safe relative. Maybe its time to start looking at these puppies :P

T1zb26FaFaXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_460x460.jpg

updated by @lee2: 04/13/15 09:27:09AM
John Micelli
@john-micelli
03/03/14 04:21:59PM
4 posts

Using ABS is not something I have seenused for chocolate molds. FDA Styrene like HIPS does have a place in the chocolate industry for plaques and packaging but in my opinion does not have the strength to have a useful life in chocolate molding.It's hard to put a Lifeon it but I know manufacturersusing Polycarbonate molds for over 25 years and they still are functioning. I know others who use cheaperPET or rarely Styrene and they crack/replace molds every year.

Regarding the BPA topic. Recent news regarding BPA content in polycarbonate has resulted in somepeople asking for clarification on the topic. We have been watching and researching the topic for some time.At this time, research shows polycarbonate to be safe for use in chocolate molds, and most news regarding BPA is related to baby bottles. Of course everyone has to make their own decision but attached are a few articles that may help clarify the topic for you.

Lee2
@lee2
03/03/14 05:21:15PM
33 posts
Thanks for your input! I went ahead and ordered three AS plastic molds. We'll see how they perform.Call me crazybut I would never use the same mold for 25 years. Plastic, as I understand, all leaches chemicals to one degree or another, a process I'm led to believe increases with age.It may be urban myth, but I've also heard that in the aftermath of the BPA scandal, if you can call it that, manufacturers rushed to remove BPA from their processes and swapped in other chemicals in this BP series.Anyway, for fun I've gone ahead and ordered one mold made of wood to see if that's a possibility. Yes, wood!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores