Help - streaks in my chocolate

Sabrina M
@sabrina-m
07/01/14 08:04:03AM
2 posts

Hi there,

I've recently started making chocolate from bean and I'm struggling to get the tempering right. I am getting steaks in my chocolate and I'm not sure if it's because I am not cooling it enough or reheating it too much. Or some other reason.

I'm currently heating my milk chocolate to 46C, cooling it to 28C, (using a cool water bath, not seed chocolate) and then reheating to 30C. I've tried to cool it lower that 28C, but then it start to get too solid, and can't be molded properly, unless I heat it way over 30C.

Also, I do not get steaks in my whole batch. About 30% of the molded bars will streak, but the rest are fine. And the ones with streaks come from my early, mid and late molds, so it's not a factor of time.

Any ideas on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

updated by @sabrina-m: 04/12/15 05:48:46AM
Potomac Chocolate
@ben-rasmussen
07/01/14 09:30:10AM
191 posts

Hi Sabrina,

This is a pretty common problem that most of us have had at one time or another. There are a bunch of discussions about this here on the Chocolate Life. If you do a search for streaks, you'll find a lot of good info about how to avoid them.

Good luck!

Ben

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores