Why does My Cocoa butter chip?

Keti
@keti
09/16/14 02:53:30PM
4 posts

I have been having a problem with my Cocoa butter chipping when removing it from my molds. I have tempered it and it has a beautiful shine when it comes out but some of them have portions of the cocoa butter chipped off. I am using a spray gun when applying it to the mold. Is it possible that I am applying too much?

Also, I have read in some forum posts that people have used a clear cocoa butter to give a greater shine but can't find anywhere to purchase including chef rubber. Does this product really exist?

Thanks for your help

updated by @keti: 04/12/15 11:49:34AM
Keti
@keti
09/17/14 02:59:26PM
4 posts

I guess i should clarify that it is my colored cocoa butter that is chipping. I am trying to put a nice color on my molded chocolate and when the chocolate releases from the mold some of the chocolates have portions of the paint missing/chipped off. I buff my molds thoroughly with cotton balls before i spray them.

Gap
@gap
09/17/14 05:56:34PM
182 posts

It's hard to know from your description - many things could be at play. Your cocoa butter should be approx 32-34C when going into the sprayer. Try not to have too much colour on the moulds at once (it shouldn't be "running" into pools and leaving streaks) - do two coats if you want extra colour.

Hold your moulds about 20-30cm away when spraying. Ensure your work enviroment is in normal chocolate working conditions (approx 18-22C). Let your moulds dry after spraying, then put a thin coat of chocolate on the moulds (you can use your finger), let that dry and then mould the cavaties as you would normally. The chocolate should be correctly tempered so that it doesn't affect the coloured ccb.

Are you making your own colours (ie., ~10g fat soluble colouring to 100g ccb) or using a commercial product?

I've never used additional ccb for "extra" shine on my moulds and I can practically see my reflection in my chocolates. If you're spraying colour, it already has a lot of ccb in it. That said, I have heard of it done and I'm pretty sure its just standard cocoa butter they use.

Keti
@keti
09/18/14 03:03:30PM
4 posts

Gap,

Thanks for your reply. I will try your advice and spray a coat, let it dry and then a 2nd coat. I have not tried making my own colors yet, I purchased them from Chef Rubber. I may have been using too much color. The ones that turned out were beautiful and as you said, you can pretty much see your reflection in them. I read some posts on here about the clear but couldn't find a product named such, so it probably is just cocoa butter. Thanks for your help

Gap
@gap
09/18/14 05:42:12PM
182 posts

No worries Keti and good luck

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores