quality shell molds-shell mold problems

Nicole5
@nicole5
10/18/15 07:03:02AM
35 posts

Hi all,  

I don't claim to be a chocolatier, just a candy maker, but I do a pretty good job.  I was hired by someone who decided to open a handmade candy business based on my skill and I get paid really well.  Because I'm not a chocolatier, I need help with a shell mold question.  The owner bought me some molds for our creams (I pipe them) from sellers on Amazon.  One brand was called, I think, Fat Daddio or something.  They didn't go to Tomric as I suggested, I imagine thinking they are saving a few dollars.  Anyway, the molds are no where near as heavy weight, and I'm not having a lot of success getting them out of the molds. 

Is there such thing as a crappy shell mold, or do I just stink at this?

Thanks

Kerry
@kerry
10/20/15 06:45:58PM
288 posts

There is such a thing as crappy molds - don't know the Fat Dadio ones but I know some of the Italian molds I've purchased are much too light and do a piss poor job of molding.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
YOQ Tony
@yoq-tony
10/20/15 10:36:50PM
5 posts

Hi Nicole,

we are producing chocolate making mold, and  not sure it is useful to you. If you need, i can show you and help you solve the problem.

My skype is yoqtony, and email is cleopatra.tony@gmail.com.

Best regards

Mark Allan
@mark-allan
10/22/15 11:34:17AM
47 posts

Fat Daddio polycarbonate molds are what I use. I have bought other non polycarbonate molds and never use them. I'm sure other brands of polycarbonate are just as good. Polycarbonate is rigid, but you can whack them on the counter without breaking them. If the chocolate is tempered right, the bars/candies will fall right out after a chill. The more you use them, without washing them with soap, the easier the chocolates will be to remove. A trace of cocoa butter coats the mold after its first use, so the chocolates fall out even easier after subsequent uses.

Nicole5
@nicole5
10/23/15 05:07:17AM
35 posts

Thanks all.  I tested my know-how again using good, solid molds from Tomric (my own family's company had just one tray of three different shapes). Anyway, every single mold fell out beautifully.

@Mark-allan, maybe Fat Daddio was not what we got then.  I know that is a name I've seen around.  In any case, I do believe now that what i have been provided is crappy tools, and they are just going to have to spend the extra money if they want good molds and fewer losses of product.

Thanks again!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores