Martellato Guitar Cutter - Changing Strings

Greg Gould
@greg-gould
03/09/16 03:07:13PM
68 posts

Hi everyone!   I just picked up a used cutter and some of the strings are broken on a couple of frames.  Do I neeed a special tool to loosen the bolts on the frame so I can replace strings?

updated by @greg-gould: 03/14/16 04:50:36PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
03/09/16 07:00:14PM
1,680 posts

Greg:

Can you post a photo (or photos) of what the attachment point looks like? You almost certainly need a tool of some kind but hopefully it's not a special tool.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Greg Gould
@greg-gould
03/14/16 04:47:05PM
68 posts

Here's some pictures.  Thank you.

Greg Gould
@greg-gould
03/14/16 04:59:03PM
68 posts

Also would you mind giving other advice?  

What width strings should i use?  

Can you recommend ganache frames?  Whats the highest I would want to go?  Are acetate sheets preferable to silicone mats?  I will be making two layer ganaches.  I also make pate de fruit.

Im thinking of buying the cart built for the cutter but its $300.  What I like is I have no room for the cutter and i can store my 5 frames underneath perfectly.  Any reason to get something else?

Greg Gould
@greg-gould
03/24/16 12:03:38PM
68 posts

Bump. 

Clay Gordon
@clay
03/24/16 01:11:30PM
1,680 posts

Greg -

You should try to replace the strings with ones of the same diameter. If you are uncertain what that is, contact the manufacturer or a reseller here in the US, who would also have the tools.

Some people I know put their guitars on a half-size (short) bun rack (speed-rack). They can found for $60-$120 through online stores. They can also cost $300+ but a search should reveal a good price.

You can try a silicone mat to see if you like it. Most people I know use acetate as you'll get a smoother surface.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Kerry
@kerry
03/26/16 10:02:12PM
288 posts

Greg - you want 8 guage stainless wire - aka 0.05mm (some people are using 13 guage as well) - attaching a discussion here.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/61605-guitar-cutter-sourcing-using-maintaining/?page=1

Are the bolts the same on both ends of the wires?

Clay is right - if you can find a half size speed rack or a stainless table with speed rack shelving under it - it will make a fine holder for your guitar.

I use guitar sheets which are flexible plastic instead of acetate or silicone.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca
Dave  Hoselton
@dave-hoselton
05/05/16 03:02:00PM
3 posts

Kerry,

Will you share your source for the flexible plastic guitar sheets?

Kerry
@kerry
05/19/16 08:55:19PM
288 posts

Dave - I'm in Canada - I can get guitar sheets from Signature Fine Foods or Qzina. In the US I guess Qzina would be one source.

--
www.eztemper.com

www.thechocolatedoctor.ca

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores