Cheap and Easy to make vibration table

BobWilson
@bobwilson
07/12/16 03:47:36PM
3 posts

I thought I would share this.

I needed a vibration table and didn't want to spend $200 for a small one.  I also like to apply technology in unique ways to solve problems, especially when I have the tech laying around!

I was trying to see how I could build an inexpensive vibration table, when I remembered I had a couple of old transducers (bass shakers) on the shelf in my garage.  A bass shaker is basically a sub woofer without the speaker cone.  It's specifically designed to vibrate something!  Typically you mount it in a chair or couch and hook it up like a subwoofer to your home theater system.  Then you feel the bass without shaking your whole house and waking up the kids. 

You can buy these from Parts Express and they run them on sale pretty regularly.  The ones I used are 25 watt rms.  They don't sell these anymore but they have a 50 watt one that should work even better and you'd only need one.  This one is $29 and here's the link http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-bst-1-high-power-pro-tactile-bass-shaker-50-watts--295-244   

I mounted the two I had to a board and a $3 cookie sheet.  I then bought $10 worth of springs from Home Depot and a small amp from Amazon.  I would recommend a slightly larger amp than what I used.  I might upgrade mine to this one: https://www.amazon.com/DROK-TPA3116-Amplifier-Adjustment-Potentionmeter/dp/B0177F614Y/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1468344981&sr=8-15&keywords=100+watt+mono+amplifier and this can be set to 100 watt mono to run the above shaker nicely!  They have a bunch of different ones in the $20-$40 range.  To power the amp I used a computer power supply that is 12v, 5 amp.  Don't use the little 2 amp one they try to sell with it.

Finally, you have to use a signal generator to feed the amp to drive the bass shaker.  To do this I found a bunch of free apps for your phone.  The one I got is called "Sound Check" and you can flip through different frequencies.  The 40 and 50Hz frequencies give the most vibration.  Although it's seriously funny to play a song with some bass and watch what happens!

You can see a couple videos here: www.dschocolateco.com/Vibration

DSC02730 - Copy.JPG.jpg

DSC02733 - Copy.JPG.jpg

DSC02734 - Copy.JPG.jpg

José Crespo
@jos-crespo
07/19/16 11:38:59AM
21 posts

Great! Thanks for sharing!

You could add an informational note to the finished product, something like :

"Rithmically molded bubble free using Skrillex™ @ 50Hz" :P

updated by @jos-crespo: 10/15/16 10:21:23AM
BobWilson
@bobwilson
07/21/16 03:57:48PM
3 posts

Quick update.  I upgraded the amp to this 2x100 watt unit for $20.  It works really well!  I'm currently using a 24vdc 2amp power supply I had lying around and I can only turn it up to about 70% power before my power supply can't keep up but it still works great.  I would recommend at least a 5amp or ideally a 10amp power supply.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FXE2TD8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BobWilson
@bobwilson
07/21/16 06:12:16PM
3 posts

José Crespo:

Great! Thanks for sharing!

You could add an informational note to the finished product, something like :

"Rithmically molded bubble free using Skrillex™ @ 50Hz" :P

I like how you think!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores