Chocolate not sticking to caramel

venus
@venus
12/13/16 10:57:48PM
1 posts

Hi everyone.

I am enrobing soft caramels with dark chocolate but am finding that the chocolate does not stick to the caramel well, if at all. What this means is when I bite into the caramel (about an inch square and half inch thick) some chocolate will often chip/flake off the remaining portion, leaving a less than desirable eating experience. Does anyone know a way to make the chocolate bond to the caramel to stop it from doing that? I'm currently enrobing by dipping then using a hair-dryer (on cold) to blow off excess chocolate, leaving a layer about a millimeter thick. I have tried thinning out the chocolate coating with more blowing which seems to have a positive effect but it gets to a point where the chocolate is too thin for the desired taste.

TIA.

antonino allegra
@antonino-allegra
12/15/16 11:03:02AM
143 posts

Hi,chocolate sticks to almost everything, except on fat.

it seems (from far away) that your problem is not the chocolate itself, but theycaramel. If the caramel has a overly shine look, it could be that some fat is surfacing/splitting, making it difficult for the chocolate to stick.

for test purpose, check first the caramel, then do a test by coating something else (nuts?) to understand what you are doing incorrect. 

Otherwise you can always "dust the caramel with something to roughen the surface.

cheers.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores