Problem cooling and or tempering

Juliana Desmond
@juliana-desmond
05/04/17 01:15:22AM
6 posts
Hello,

I am making molded chocolate bars and keep having the same problem. These bars are not turning out smooth and shiny. I wonder if they are cooling too quick? These test batches are pure chocolate and are not medicated. I wonder is the size 6"× 3" too big for an even temper? I am tempering the chocolate but not sure the best way to cool it. I have always just cooled chocolate in a regular refrigerator but I was always just working with smaller molds. Is it cooling too quick? I would really appreciate any help or feedback please.

Thank you!
Juliana :)
20170503_154326.jpeg
20170503_154326.jpeg  •  161KB

20170503_152715.jpeg
20170503_152715.jpeg  •  173KB

crackedcitrine
@crackedcitrine
05/04/17 10:46:52AM
6 posts

Those look like release/separation marks, not tempering issues. From my very limited experience, they tend to pop up on larger bars made from thinner plastic.

Check out this video for more info from someone much more experienced than me12 Tempering philosophy (Chocolate Alchemy's tempering video). Around 15:26, he talks about release marks.

Juliana Desmond
@juliana-desmond
05/05/17 06:06:47PM
6 posts

Thank you, yes they must be release/separation marks. Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

crackedcitrine
@crackedcitrine
05/05/17 09:40:43PM
6 posts

The only hint I've found is to use very rigid molds, like the polycarbonate molds that are difficult/expensive to get custom made.  For the vacuum molded plastics, that seem to be what you're using, I've heard thicker vacu-formed plastics tend to reduce the severity of the release marks, but still don't eliminate them.

If you have the opportunity to remake the molds, a rougher surface (fewer large smooth places) should hide the release marks much better.

For my own bars, I've decided to live with the release marks. If I ever make enough profit, I might upgrade to polycarbonate molds for my bars. But, for now, my customers don't seem to mind, and the marks seem to get minimized after packaging (the rubbing against the package hides most of the marks) 

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 3 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores