Cultivars and Related Species

Koa Kahili
@koa-kahili
02/01/09 01:39:26AM
7 posts
There are approximately 22 Theobroma species, and about 15 are utilized for their edible pulp or seeds. Cocoa, Theobroma cacao, is the most important species. Theobroma gileri (mountain cocoa), T. bicolor (macambo) and T. subincanum (wild cocoa) are other species utilized for their sweet, edible pulp and edible seeds.On Kauai we have started propagating Theobroma grandiflorum (Sterculiaceae) commonly called Cupuassu. The pulp is thick, somwhat fibrous, and very aromatic. It is also very acid, with a pH of 3.3. It is eaten fresh, and used in the preparation of drinks, ice cream, baked goods, candies and jams. The seeds contain a white, aromatic fat, similar to that of cocoa, that is used to make a type of white chocolate called cupulate. A portion of 100 g of seeds contains 15 g carbohydrate, 51 g fat and 20 g protein.Has any chocolate maker on the chocolate life every made cupulate? We are going to experiment with added cupulate to chocolate. We are also going to be cross pollinating different cultivars to find a more wind resistant strain. Is is possible to cross a T. bicolor (macambo) with a criollo? Does microbial fermentation of cupuassu seeds bring out the flavor or increase alkaloids? What are the levels of theobromine, phenelethamaine, and other chemicals in the various cultivars of theobroma? We hope to answer these and many more questions in the next few years.
updated by @koa-kahili: 04/23/15 01:38:48AM
Tom
@tom
02/03/09 07:27:14PM
205 posts
There is an interesting fermentation paper regarding that of bicolor and grandiflorum I'll try and dig up the ref.
Koa Kahili
@koa-kahili
02/03/09 09:39:41PM
7 posts
That would be great, tomorrow at noon I am going on the Garden Show on Kauai Community Radio, KKCR, www.kkcr.org to talk about various cultivars and related species of Theobroma Cacao. I have been a regular on the show in recent months promoting the growing of cacao, educating the public that cacao can grow on Kauai and that it can be sustainable viable agricultural industry.
Tom
@tom
02/04/09 07:25:36PM
205 posts
The paper is titled 'Comparative study on the proteolytic activities and storage globulins in seeds of Theobroma grandiflorum (Wild ex Spreng) Schum and Theobroma bicolor Humb Bonpl, in relation to their potential to generate chocolate-like aroma' bit of a mouth full. This was published in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture in 2004 pg693, the corresponding author is Christoph Reisdorff of the Institute of Applied Botany, University of Hamburg.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores