Photography

Jo-Ellen Fairbanks
@jo-ellen-fairbanks
04/13/12 01:39:54PM
9 posts

I would like to create a menuof my chocolates that features a picture of each flavor as well as have pictures ofmy chocolateson the website. How have you photographed your chocolates? Did you do it yourself? Is special lighting needed so they look 3D & shiny? Did you hire a photographer? Do you use a food photographer? Any help or insight would be appreciated.

updated by @jo-ellen-fairbanks: 04/11/15 02:32:17PM
Felipe Jaramillo F.
@felipe-jaramillo-f
04/13/12 02:01:32PM
55 posts
This photoset in flickr shows the lighting setup and some examples which look quite good. It uses a few flashes (strobes) and an umbrella.
Nat
@nat
04/13/12 03:51:02PM
75 posts

Check this great New York Times blog on food photography for some excellent tips. Not specific tochocolate, but should be helpful regardless. For the shininess you just have to have a super well tempered bar, preferably one that was just tempered within a day.

I shot in just natural light next to a window late in the afternoon when the sun was at a lower angle to get some interesting shadows.

Robyn Wood
@robyn-wood
04/13/12 05:47:51PM
29 posts

I attempted some myself, and while they looked OK, I'm not a photographer. I had a professional take mine. Even though he wasn't a food photographer, he has been doing it more because he works for the chef I work for.

Here are a few he did for me. He used a light box he had designed. While shine is good, I didn't want too 1176-Limoncello.jpg?width=200 much reflection on them, so his lighting was muted.

1178-chocolates56.jpg?width=200 1180-chocolates75.jpg?width=200

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores