Hawaii

Vanessa Chang
@vanessa-chang
05/24/10 02:44:32PM
18 posts

I'm researching a possible trip to Hawaii and would like it so that I can visit cacao operations while I'm there.

Can anyone offer advice on places to visit or even how to navigate the varius cacao growing operations on the different islands (I'm pretty clueless as to the possibility/efficiency of inter-island travel for short trips)?

Thanks in advance for your time.

updated by @vanessa-chang: 04/15/15 11:43:10PM
Sarah Scott
@sarah-scott
05/24/10 07:08:49PM
16 posts
HI, I was just in Hawaii and wished I would have done this! I was on Maui and there didn't seem to be any chocolate operations there. But I did have a bar from Malie Kai , Honolulu. I don't know if they do tours or not but they are a small company so it may be worth contacting them about it. As I was writing on my blog about my vacation and chocolate in Hawaii someone left a comment from Original Hawaiian Chocolate Factory and stated that they do have tours, though I know nothing about this company but they are located on the big island. Good luck and have fun! Hope to hear about it and maybe see some pictures.
Sarah Scott
@sarah-scott
05/24/10 07:26:26PM
16 posts
Ps- Did you visit the group on here Hawaii Cacao?
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
06/09/10 06:38:02PM
251 posts
Vanessa,Have you checked out Clay's group Hawaii Cacao ? It has lots of information. For example, the directory of cacao farmers should help you.
Melanie Boudar
@melanie-boudar
06/11/10 02:04:09AM
104 posts
The Original Hawaiian Chocolate Factory in Kona gives tours as does Tom Sharkey on the Hamakua Coast of the Big Island. His website isn't much but his farm is nice, with vanilla growing up the cacao trees and surrounded by coffee. He also has a vacation rental and does chocolate making classes. http://www.konasharkscoffee.com/ The Hilo Farmers market usually has cacao pods for sale. A third farm on the Hamakua coast will be offering tours in about another year.MAlie Kai does not own the trees- it is the Waialua Estate on the North Shore of Oahu and is owned by Dole. They do not give regular tours except to large groups.Let me know if I can answer any other questions- I live on the Big Island and have 2 chocolate shops. My production kitchen, Sweet Paradise Chocolatier, is located in Waimea on the Big Island, the main store is in Kailua, Oahu.
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
06/11/10 09:17:26AM
251 posts
Melanie,I'm so glad to see you respond here. I was just getting ready to suggest to Vanessa that she should contact you.Cheers,Lowe
ChocoFiles
@chocofiles
06/11/10 09:18:45AM
251 posts
Seneca Klassen would also be another good person to contact about cacao in Hawaii.
Vanessa Chang
@vanessa-chang
06/11/10 11:11:02AM
18 posts
Thanks, Melanie. Great tips!Looks like my venture to the islands is going to be to Kaua'i in July. If you have any ideas for that island I'm all ears.
Vanessa Chang
@vanessa-chang
06/11/10 11:12:01AM
18 posts
Hi Lowe,I've been trolling the group's page and will hit them up with a message/shout out today. Kaua'i will be my first island destination this July. I'm keen to see what's going on. Thank you!
Melanie Boudar
@melanie-boudar
06/19/10 04:39:05AM
104 posts
Besides Steelgrass ,Koa Kahili is in Kauai and does a few chocolate bean to bar classes, His profile is on the Hawaii Cacao Page. I think overall what is happening in Kauai is small and probabl more focused on raw chocolate.
Melanie Boudar
@melanie-boudar
06/19/10 04:41:03AM
104 posts
Hi Lowe,How have you been? Back to Hawaii anytime soon? Our newspaper the merged Honolulu Advertiser and Star Bulliten, now the Star Advertiser I think will be running a feature on Cacao June 30th.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores