Next level production!

Evan  Langendorf
@evan-langendorf
05/15/15 12:19:38AM
17 posts

So the time has come for me to step up production. I have been using the ECGC 12-SL from Cocoatown and tempering by hand. The bars have been great but the machine is not fit for this leve of production. I suggest working with another company than Cocoatown as the owner was completely useless in helping me solve the problems of extreme wear issues with plastic and metal wearing into the chocolate. The machine helped me get to this point and for that im grateful, its just a little unfortunate that finding a melange this size of good quality is so hard to find.

I am currently looking at stepping up to the JMJ40 from Mantte Industrial Co. out of China. It holds 40 L (about 60 lbs? is that about correct?)

WIth that I need a tempering machine to match that with the Air-4 from Perfect Equpment wiath a 90 lbs holding capacity.

I will also now need a fridge to aid in the cooling, im still taking imput for the best quality/cheapest fridge made for chocolate production.

For this I will be constructing a kitchen here on the land to meet this huge increase in volume. I am excited to make the leap and would love any imput on these peices of equipment, the companies and potentially anything you think I might need extra that I would consider vital once I step up.

Many thanks for any advice!

Evan

Evan  Langendorf
@evan-langendorf
05/15/15 12:30:53AM
17 posts

I will add that im in British Columbia, Canada. 

The conch costs  USD4560.00 plus 1,200 shipping.

The air-4 is 
 7990$ + 185$ for crating  + Shipping (Budget 350$)

Sebastian
@sebastian
05/17/15 07:22:59AM
754 posts

A suggestion, if i may - if you have the ability of taking the unit for a 'test drive' - ie putting your raw materials into it and having it complete a process cycle before you buy - i always recommend doing so.  While i have no direct experience with this unit nor this manufacturer, it's not uncommon for equipment mfrs to overstate the capabilities of their equipment, and often times equipment from that part of the world may have more variability than one might expect from unit to unit.  If possible, always a good idea to try before you buy to ensure it's really what you want.

Evan  Langendorf
@evan-langendorf
05/20/15 12:29:02AM
17 posts

I wish I could but the company is way in China. Have you ever worked with another similar conche from another company?

Thanks!

Sebastian
@sebastian
05/20/15 06:27:12AM
754 posts

Many.  They're generally known as universal or mcyntinre type conches.  My experience is that they're difficult to consistently achieve sub 20um particle sizes.  Every so often you'll need to resurface the inside of them as the gap between the rotors and the wall will abrade away over time. They can be a decent piece of equipment.  Not good for low viscosity formulations.

Evan  Langendorf
@evan-langendorf
05/20/15 05:46:03PM
17 posts

Im actually working with a high viscosity formula. From your experience what has been the best comapny to work with? As I won't be able to test any machine, what do you think will be the safest bet?

The company im looking at makes chonces for Hersheys and a few other large scale producers. There is also a video on their site of them using it.

Thanks for your help!

Sebastian
@sebastian
05/20/15 08:01:04PM
754 posts

If you're asking me what's the best production setup for a high viscosity chocolate, i'd probably suggest something that's in a price range that'll send you screaming.  I always advocate trying equipment before buying it - i can understand how you may not want/be able to travel to china to do so - perhaps they'd be willing to put you in contact with other customers of theirs who might be willing to lease you a unit they've purchased to take it for a test run?  It's hard to talk generics, because my idea of 'high viscosity' may be different than yours, and i not everyone has a haake viscometer or a brookfield to get a numerical value of it.

Ack i just noticed i made a mistake in my previous post - i said it was not good for low viscosity formulations - that's wrong, it is.  it's not great for HIGH viscosity formulations.  egads.

Evan  Langendorf
@evan-langendorf
05/20/15 08:24:30PM
17 posts

Dang, thanks.

Still taking advice on fridge and Air-4

Aura
@aura
06/02/15 10:46:48PM
17 posts

We too are in Canada and we looked at the air4 but it's a wheel and requires seeding method which with 8 origins seems like a challenge to have tempered chocolate in every variety always on hand.  

Tags