Best hazelnut flavor

Katie Perry
@katie-perry
09/09/12 07:09:37PM
16 posts

Hello! I am searching for the best method of achieving pronounced hazelnut flavor in dark chocolate ganache. I have roasted them whole, roasted them crushed, varied the amounts, supplemented with Frangelico, but it's just not coming through strong enough. What's the secret? A paste? Thanks in advance!

Kate

updated by @katie-perry: 04/12/15 04:19:38PM
Sebastian
@sebastian
09/09/12 08:37:23PM
754 posts

How you roast can significantly impact flavor of the nuts. My guess is that since hazelnuts are a more delicate flavor, the fact that you're putting them in a HIGHLY flavorful base (dark chocolate) they're just getting overpowered. Hard to say for certain w/o details.

Katie Perry
@katie-perry
09/09/12 09:01:17PM
16 posts

Hi Sebastian! Good point. I planned to try with milk chocolate to see if that helped. I was also interested in hearing what other people do -- how they roast the nuts, whether they include them whole or minced, if they use any added flavorings, etc.

Tom
@tom
09/09/12 11:43:28PM
205 posts

Try adding a little salt, salt makes nuts taste nuttier. You don't need much but the change is remarkable.

Omar Forastero
@omar-forastero
09/10/12 05:13:41AM
86 posts

thank you for the salt tip tom. Never thought salt would make such impact nuts. I'll try it out for sure

Katie Perry
@katie-perry
09/10/12 08:42:28AM
16 posts

Excellent tip, Tom! Thank you.

Scott
@scott
09/10/12 11:34:22AM
44 posts

The secret to getting pronounced hazelnut flavor and aroma is to start with the best hazelnuts (especially cv. Tonda Gentile delle Langhe, though Tonda di Giffoni and Tonda Gentile Romana are also very good). Nothing you can do to kernels from a lesser cultivar (e.g., Barcelona from Oregon or Tombul from Turkey) will close that gap in quality and intensity.

Katie Perry
@katie-perry
09/10/12 11:44:57AM
16 posts

aha! That might be the ticket. I have noticed the nuts themselves really don't seem that"nutty" by themselves. Thanks again.

Scott
@scott
09/10/12 11:55:02AM
44 posts

Exactly. Unfortunately, it's tough to get the best hazelnut cultivars outside of Europe. Even when you can get them, they're more expensive to begin with, and with higher transportation costs to get them to the US, they can be cost prohibitive.

Mark Heim
@mark-heim
09/10/12 06:27:06PM
101 posts

You might want to try making a basic praline. Take 50:50 sugar and hazelnuts, you can caramelize the sugar with them, like a croquant, or partially, or just a blend depending on your target flavor profile. Grind them to a nut butter and refine. You can then add cocoa butter or some dark chocolate to make a finished praline or gianduja. As mentioned above the quality of the nuts and the roast technique are the most significant factor.

Katie Perry
@katie-perry
09/10/12 06:35:55PM
16 posts

Thanks Mark! I will definitely try that.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores