Newbie Help!! - Lots of chocolate questions

Sarah Mander
@sarah-mander
10/21/12 07:10:33AM
6 posts

Hi,

I have just starting my own small business from home making Chocolate truffles. I make them with a ganache recipe of 400ml of chocolate with 150ml of double cream, I have been advising people that they have a shelf life of 5-7 days due to the cream content. I am now wanting to start selling them in local farm shops/delis but they all require a longer shelf life,

My questions on this are:

Does anyone have any advice on how I can make them have a longer life?

Does anyone know any truffle recipes that do not use cream therefore increasing the shelf life?

I also have also started to make chocolate lollies & chunks. I melt the chocolate and then leave to first set at room temperature then put in the fridge but my problem is when I take them out of the fridge and leave for a period of time at room temperature, they seem to look like they have separated and when you bite into them they go all crumbly. What am I doing wrong?

Please can someone help as I seem to have built up quite a few regular customers & I dont want to disappoint them.

Thanks from a new chocolate fan xx

updated by @sarah-mander: 04/14/15 02:27:51PM
Ryan
@ryan
10/25/12 02:05:03PM
5 posts

If you are cooking the cream and adding chocolate to it for your ganache it has a longer shelf life than you think. That is how I make mine and then roll into balls by hand before dipping them, get 3 months shelf life... even longer if stored in refrigeration. Your lollies crumbling sounds to me as though your chocolate is not tempered correctly and therefor has too much crystallization.

Sarah Mander
@sarah-mander
10/26/12 03:13:41AM
6 posts

Thanks Ryan,

I am actually melting the chocolate first then adding the cream to this. But if it means a longer shelf life then I can change this to cooking the cream first.

I managed to find out that the problem with the lollies is due to sugar bloom. I was putting in the refridgerator then bringing out intoa humid room, therefor ecausing the bloom!

Dawn Swank
@dawn-swank
10/30/12 12:34:23PM
1 posts

In my experience, melting and tempering the chocolate being used in ganache is a ridiculously easy way to extend shelf life. Boil cream, cool to 115 degrees, THEN add to freshly tempered chocolate. Use an immersion blender to create an emulsion. It will be much more stable.

Patti Humbert
@patti-humbert
10/30/12 05:58:02PM
18 posts

I believe a butter ganache is also supposed to last longer than a cream ganache. Even more so if you use clarified butter.

Sarah Mander
@sarah-mander
11/05/12 03:29:21AM
6 posts

How long would you say the shelf life would be by doing it this way?

Susan Van Horn
@susan-van-horn
03/17/13 12:39:37PM
32 posts

Wouldn't the 115 cream take the tempered chocolate out of temper?

Greg Gould
@greg-gould
03/20/13 10:19:59AM
68 posts

Yes. Cool the cream to about 90 degrees.

Greg Gould
@greg-gould
03/20/13 10:22:33AM
68 posts

I recently bought the book "Fine Experiences, Great Chocolate 3 - Extending Shelf Life" by Jean-Pierre Wybauw. This is what you need. It explains everything scientifically. I highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Fine-Chocolates-Great-Experience-Extending/dp/9020990209/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363789337&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=greay+experiences+fine+chocolates+3

Susan Van Horn
@susan-van-horn
03/20/13 02:52:57PM
32 posts

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming.

Greg Gould
@greg-gould
03/20/13 03:47:43PM
68 posts

My only problem with this method is that it sets up fast. It's usually faster than I can pipe it into shells so I have to -re-warm the ganache making sure not to go over the 90 degree threshold.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores