chocoflex for ganache

mary amsterdam
@mary-amsterdam
12/02/12 10:22:12AM
25 posts
Has any used the chocoflex silicone molds for ganache. i have great success making caramels in the mold (i use the square mold). they set up beautifully and pop out with a minimum of effort. i chill them first, to keep the shape. i have tried this with ganache, and even with letting it sit in the refrigerator overnight, a lot of ganache stuck to the inside of the mold. some of the pieces came out fairly easily, but not enough. i wonder if my ganache is too creamy and maybe i need a different recipe. Any advises would be appreciated.
updated by @mary-amsterdam: 05/03/15 04:56:56AM
Nick Shearn
@nick-shearn
12/02/12 11:30:58AM
12 posts

Hi Mary,

I've had the same issues. The molds are great for caramels but with any ganache I've tried they never come out in one piece. Almost always there's a little bit of ganache left inside, even after refrigerating or freezing, which obviously affects the final appearance as well as making the cleaning up process longer. I'd love to know if there's something I'm missing but nowadays I only use the molds for caramels/toffees.

Nick.

mary amsterdam
@mary-amsterdam
12/02/12 11:43:37AM
25 posts

i am thinking of trying the molds from truffley made. they are much more "flexible" and you can invert the cavaties to push out the truffle. their instructional video says to freeze the ganache. they also say to use a "curable" ganache. but i think that means putting invert sugar or other stabilizer in the ganache - but i don't want to do that because i am afraid it will affect the texture. if i do try it i will post my results.

Susan Van Horn
@susan-van-horn
12/02/12 12:18:40PM
32 posts

I am curious as to how you manage to fill the molds without the caramel cooling too fast or the caramel in the pan overcooking? I have considered doing this, too, but it seems like I would have one or the other problem with the caramel. Thank you for your help!

mary amsterdam
@mary-amsterdam
12/02/12 12:46:09PM
25 posts

i use peter's caramel. it comes in a 5 lb block. i soften it slightly in the microwave. still cool enough to touch, but soft enough to work with. then i basically "push" it into cavaties with hard dough scrapers. it takes a bit more time than pouring totally melted caramel, but it sets up quickly and it is pretty easy to work with.

Susan Van Horn
@susan-van-horn
12/02/12 01:08:55PM
32 posts

Ah. Ok. I was wondering how you did it. I make my own so, if anyone knows how to do it that way, let me know. Thanks for your response!

Nick Shearn
@nick-shearn
12/02/12 04:13:56PM
12 posts

I make my own caramel and haven't had a problem. When it's ready in the pan I quickly pour the whole lot into the centre of the mold and as accurately as possible I spread it out with a palette knife. If you get your volumes right you can fill the whole mold without waste.

mary amsterdam
@mary-amsterdam
02/01/13 01:47:46PM
25 posts

Nick

just wanted to let you know that i did a test run using the refrigeration/freezer method which the website Truffley Made recommends for using its silicone molds -- and it worked! They recommend refrigeration for 6-12 hours and freezer for 24 hours. I used a chocoflex mold, filled it with ganache, and then refrigerated for about 6 hours and then put it in the freezer overnight (probably 12-14 hours). Once the ganache set up a little (about 1-2 hours) I covered it tightly with plastic wrap. I unmolded them straight from the freezer, and while it was not perfect "pop out"- with a little push on the bottom most of them came out quite easily and with very little left in bottom. THe texture was fine - very creamy still. just wanted to share.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores