Making cocoa liquor

Adam Kavalier
@adam-kavalier
01/10/13 09:38:37PM
12 posts

Greetings all,

I'm looking for a way to make cocoa liquor from nibs to feed my santha grinder. After much investigation I purchased a spice grinder which grinds nibs into powder, but this also seizes up the Santha. Even when the ground powder is warmed it does not melt into liquor. Perhaps I need a different type of grinder, maybe one that produces more of a shearing grind rather than a rotor with blades which produces only powder.

I'm trying to avoid the use of cacao butter so I'm looking for some way to make cacao liquor ready for the santha grinder. Any suggestions?

Many thanks!

Adam

updated by @adam-kavalier: 04/19/15 07:04:04AM
Carlos Eichenberger
@carlos-eichenberger
01/11/13 08:16:27AM
158 posts

No need for anything like that.

What you need to do is warm the bowl, stones and nibs to about 115F and then add the nibs slowly until they start to release some fat. Once that happens you can go a little faster until all the nibs are in the grinder. This should take about an hour total to fill it up, and then in about another half hour you should have a batch of usable liquor. The Santha can fit about 8lbs total. Why do you not want to use cocoa butter?

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores