Dairy free milk chocolate

Valerie Herskowitz
@valerie-herskowitz
03/17/13 08:24:31
14 posts
I've been trying to source Dairy free milk chocolate. I know it exists (Callebaut) but I'm not sure it's available in the US. Does anyone have a distributor that sells it or any other dairy free milk chocolate?
updated by @valerie-herskowitz: 06/29/23 16:49:02
Andrea B
@andrea-bauer
03/17/13 09:20:11
92 posts

I tried to track down the Callebaut dairy-free milk chocolate in the US last fall without luck. If you find it, let me know. I've also tried some of the other dairy-free brands of milk chocolateand they are all fairly disgusting - both in taste and texture. Plus, none of them seem available in bulk. Even if you find them in bulk the costs are high (esp. considering the quality or lack thereof). Best, Andrea

Valerie Herskowitz
@valerie-herskowitz
03/17/13 09:53:26
14 posts

I wonder why it's not being sold in the US. Anyway, what are the sources of the dairy-free milk chocolate brands that you have tried. I know you haven't done too well with them, but I have a group of people who aren't too picky, so I would like to try it. Thanks!!

Andrea B
@andrea-bauer
03/17/13 17:00:00
92 posts

I tried the Enjoy Life Rice Milk Bar - totally gross! I've tried the Sweet Chocolate Dream bar - yuck! Beyond those 2, I'd have to go down to my food co-op to see what other brands they carry to let you know which ones I've tried. I love milk chocolate so much I even tried to make a recipe at home for dairy-free milk chocolate. It was a recipe I found online and it was beyond gross.

I am wondering if the dairy-free Callebaut is available in Canada and could be shipped into the US. Of course I wanted to try a sample of it before ordering a whole huge bag and realizing it either tastes gross or doesn't temper well for use in molding.

Andrea B
@andrea-bauer
03/17/13 17:07:47
92 posts

I've emailed Callebaut and will let you know if I get a reply regarding availability.

Valerie Herskowitz
@valerie-herskowitz
03/17/13 21:32:17
14 posts
Thanks. I tried them myself and got no response. But the Canada thing is a idea. let me know what you here. I know about the Enjoy Life and Sweet Dream bar, but even I'd they were tasty, the price is unaffordable. So, I guess my people with have to stick with semisweet for the time being. Thx again
yochy miller
@yochy-miller
03/18/13 14:09:58
0 posts

HI there what about the best one? www.premiumchocolatiers.com

Valerie Herskowitz
@valerie-herskowitz
03/18/13 21:49:02
14 posts
I'm looking to source the milk chocolate in order to make the confections. Premium Chocolatiers doesn't sell chocolate for making confections unless I've missed something
Clay Gordon
@clay
03/19/13 14:02:38
1,680 posts

One of the challenges is that in order for it to be called milk chocolate here in the US, it has to have dairy in it:

(4) Dairy ingredients:
(i) Cream, milkfat, butter;
(ii) Milk, concentrated milk, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, dried milk; and
(iii) Skim milk, concentrated skim milk, evaporated skim milk, sweetened condensed skim milk, nonfat dry milk;

Callebaut might not be selling it here in the US for labeling reasons.If you import it from Canada you should be careful how you label it.Calling it "dairy-free milk chocolate" won't work - at least as far as the FDA is concerned. That's why some companies refer to "mylk" chocolate.

There are a couple of bean-to-bar companies I know that use coconut milk powder and it's really quite good. Not making it as couverture to sell, though. Askinosie uses goat's milk and while it is goat-y it's not too goat-y.

It is possible to make.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Valerie Herskowitz
@valerie-herskowitz
03/19/13 16:49:27
14 posts

Hi Clay. I think Callebaut was using rice milk. I don't know if that classifies as dairy. I don't think so, because they are saying it's dairy free. I know that I use clarified butter at times, and although it's dairy, it is casein free and lactose free. I don't say it is dairy free or parve, just casein free. All I really care about is that I can make some casein-free products for my people. Now, while goat's milk does have casein, it's supposedly a different casein then cow's milk and some people can tolerate it. But it's way too complicated to get into that if you know what I mean. And I think the Askinosie bars would most likely be too pricey to use. But I think it's really cool that they are making it. Coconut milk would be awesome-but you are saying they just sell it for chocolate bars? Not couverture. Oh well.

So-it is possible to make? You mean like using cocoa powder, a dairy-free milk product, and clarified butter type thing?

yochy miller
@yochy-miller
03/19/13 19:47:50
0 posts

Valerie,

In what quantity are you looking to source this? Please shoot an email to info@premiumchocolatiers.com and we will quote it.

Esther L. Greenberger
@esther-l-greenberger
04/14/13 19:50:43
1 posts

I use rice dream, which is dairy free (pareve) both in peppermint patties, creme centers and truffles. It works great and makes delicious centers for my semisweet dairy free chocolates. I even slowly cook it down and make dairy free (pareve) "evaporated milk" from the rice dream.

Valerie Herskowitz
@valerie-herskowitz
04/16/13 16:38:01
14 posts
I use it too, but am looking for the dairy free milk chocolate.
Julie Ehrentraut
@julie-ehrentraut
04/17/13 13:18:20
8 posts

I have spoken to a company that is allergy-free and thye have informed me that Callebaut will not sell it to them unless they can buy 10,000 lbs. at a time (I believe it was).

yochy miller
@yochy-miller
04/17/13 14:29:32
0 posts

Valerie,

How many lbs do you need? Let us know at info@premiumchocolatiers.com

Julie Ehrentraut
@julie-ehrentraut
04/17/13 15:03:12
8 posts

Yochy,

Do you use Rice Milk for your dairy-free milk chocolate or something else like soy milk etc.

yochy miller
@yochy-miller
04/17/13 15:20:41
0 posts

we use soy powder

Julie Ehrentraut
@julie-ehrentraut
04/17/13 15:28:04
8 posts

oh, ok. Can't have soy :(

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

kapil jain

kapil jain

kapil jain

@kapil-jain • 7 years ago

Chocolatevenue is an online chocolate store in India.We are specialized in customized chocolates  .Chocolates can be customized as chocolate message and chocolate bars.

You can get written your message on chocolates and can get customized your chocolate bars by selecting the desired ingredients.

for more details

colorchocolate

@colorchocolate • 7 years ago

FOR SALE / BARGAIN / FINE CACAO LIQUOR, COLOMBIA ORIGIN

Enjoy a delicious premium chocolate from the Boyacá region of Colombia, considered among the best in the world. We offer a 200 kilograms lot of pure origin cocoa liquor,  fair trade / ethically sourced. N o other ingredients added.

The price for this high quality product is as follows:

1 kg - US$ 13

100 kg - US$ 12 per kilo

200 kg - US$ 11 per kilo

Inquires: equalcolombia@gmail.com

- See more at: https://www.thechocolatelife.com/colorchocolate#sthash.JFDWYFuK.dpuf

- See more at: https://www.thechocolatelife.com/community/forums/my_posts/18453/fine-cacao-liquor-colombia-origin#sthash.2pUq4Eu3.dpuf

Clay Gordon

@clay • 7 years ago

FCIA Recognition of Excellence Nominations close in one week:

Clay Gordon

The 4 Chocolatiers

@the-4-chocolatiers • 7 years ago

Two changes we made with the chocolate is that this time we winnowed the chocolate. This time we didn't use a blow dryer to melt the chocolate. Two improvements with the chocolate is that the melanger didn't get clogged this time and everyone put in work.