Question on Tempering and Scraper

TheChocolateMan
@thechocolateman
04/09/13 07:28:03AM
21 posts

Hi,

My wife has recently enrolled in a chocolate making course being taught online, and now in the tempering (table method) stage.

While tempering the we are noticing some bubble (or grainy look) in the chocolate. But it seem todisappearwhen we bring the chocolate together, but shows up when we start tempering again. Is this normal. Please advise.

I have seen in Youtube videos that they use a Pastry scraper (attached). Is that what its is called. Because I am having a difficulty finding one in my place. Please advise

Thanks

updated by @thechocolateman: 04/09/15 09:23:07AM
Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
04/09/13 12:37:14PM
527 posts

Can you post a photo of what you are describing?

Daniela Vasquez
@daniela-vasquez
04/14/13 11:44:01AM
58 posts

Hmm I think I know what you are describing there because my chocolate reacts the same way, as if there's too many bubbles inside the chocolate, I've never had grainy though. I'll try to take a picture of it just to make sure we're talking about the same thing. But I don't know why some chocolates like to keep the air bubbles, a lot of them, maybe it's the way you're tempering the chocolate?

TheChocolateMan
@thechocolateman
04/14/13 12:04:07PM
21 posts
It kinda looks like bubbles from far. I was watching some videos on YouTube and noticed similar type is bubbles. I'll post some pictures during my next tempering attempt. I was wondering it could be because of water or moisture content. What happens if there is water in the chocolate?
Daniela Vasquez
@daniela-vasquez
04/14/13 12:23:54PM
58 posts

it will clump, it'll become "untemperable" haha I dont think it has something to do with moisture, I live in a very humid area (mostly 70-90% ) but I temper different kinds of chocolate and not all of them develop this kind of bubbles, but who knows? haha I always thought it was the way I temper that incorporates the air into the chocolate

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 4 weeks ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 5 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores