Designing a Confectionery Production Facility

RebeccaC
@rebeccac
06/25/13 11:18:26AM
8 posts

Questions for those of you that have gone through design and construction/renovation of a confectionery production facility: What do you wish you had known before you started? Are there things you would have designed differently?

updated by @rebeccac: 04/24/15 04:27:36AM
HeatherJ
@heather-johnston
06/25/13 09:03:51PM
17 posts

Great question. I have an ongoing list:

- better located HVAC vents for even flow and avoiding drafts near crucial work areas

- counter height or ceiling/pull down electrical outlets

- great lighting for decorating (I did this right the first time and have loved it)

- cabinetry with drawers for organized and protected molds storage

- future possibility of an entire "cool room" instead of a wine cooler or walk-in

- space for a packaging station, if you're planning on shipping or doing retail

Hope this helps!

Heather

RebeccaC
@rebeccac
06/26/13 12:26:46PM
8 posts

Thanks for sharing your list, Heather! You mention cabinetry in your list: is most of your equipment and ingredient storage built-in? This is a point of contention for us right nowrolling racks are more versatile, but built-ins would protect equipment so much better. Thanks again!

Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
06/26/13 05:54:35PM
527 posts

I would recommend against fixed cabinetry for two reasons:

1. Chances are you aren't going to be at that location forever, so you don't have to worry about losing a TON of money invested in millwork that you can't remove. and MORE IMPORTANTLY:

2. The health inspectors LOVE when you can move cabinets, and clean underneath them so as to eliminate hiding places for pests. All of our counters are moveable, and we never ever have issues with the health department.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores