Shrink Wrapping & Shelf Life

Larry2
@larry2
07/10/13 06:43:15PM
110 posts

I've been researching how to extend shelf life and have found lots of information on water activity and spoilage inhibition. However I have not been able to find anything on how muchShrink Wrapping a box of chocolates will increase shelf life. I bought Wybauw's third book,Fine Chocolates 3, Great Experience: Extending Shelf Life,and have learned about ingredients, water activity, and so forth butlittle mention is made of shrink wrapping.We make cream fondantcenters and drying out is my primary problem.

We don't have a storefront yet and are preparing for a big Christmas gift show to be held on Nov. 15-17. The ideal scenario would be for customers to buy them within a few days of consumption, but I'm working with what I have and reality is that many people who buy chocolates at the November show will do so with the intent of using the chocolates as Christmas gifts.

That said, we've been able to get a general 30 days out of boxed chocolates at cool/normal room temperatures before the centers have dried and become less desirable.

I know storage conditions will have a lot to do on the shelf life & evaporation and I am trying to find a waytoconfidentlyget a few more weeks of shelf life while maintaining the creaminess of the chocolate.

Does anyone have some information on how much shelf life can be increased by shrink wrapping or flow wrapping chocolates?

Thanks!

Larry

updated by @larry2: 04/20/15 03:38:03PM
Jeff Slaughter
@jeff-slaughter
07/15/13 06:38:14PM
15 posts

Larry,

Do you know about this class offered by Ecole Chocolat?

http://www.ecolechocolat.com/chocolate-quality.php

I'm planning to take it!

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Larry2
@larry2
07/17/13 02:26:58PM
110 posts

Thank you Jeff!

I've followed the chocolate apprentice and have looked into Ecole Chocolat, but it has been awhile.

I hadn't heard about that class, but it is right up my alley. Especially how they reference "Science" several times in their course description.

I'll be in that one.

This brings up the thought of taking a food manufacturing course at a local college/university. I hadn't ever considered that. Thank you!

Larry

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores