Achieving a super thin layer of chocolate on a hard center

Brianna
@brianna
08/20/13 01:59:24PM
3 posts

Hi there everyone,

I am looking to get an very very thin layer of chocolate on to a hard center. By thin I mean super super thin, around 8g-10g of chocolate per 28 grams of hard centers. I will be having this done by a commercial facility and so I am looking to figure out the most efficient method, and piece of machinery that will be needed. If anyone has any advice at all that would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind having a "foot" on the bottom if need be, and I would prefer to keep them natural and matt vs any sort of confectioners glaze.

Thanks!

updated by @brianna: 04/13/15 04:53:07AM
Colin Green
@colin-green
08/20/13 06:24:28PM
84 posts

How many do you need? I do this with freeze dried strawberries in order to give me a base for panning.

Clay Gordon
@clay
08/21/13 11:40:01AM
1,680 posts

Brianna -

I assume you've done tests to know that the chocolate adheres well to your center.

Can you specify thinness as a measurement, not weight? 8-10gr of chocolate on 28gr of center is 25-30% by weight which seems fairly thick, actually. And the pieces are fairly big. What shape are they? Not sure if the can be panned or if they need to be enrobed.

You can thin out the chocolate a tad (is this the point of the cocoa butter question?).

There is usually a movable blower attachment on an enrober belt. The blower can be positioned quite close to the work to remove a significant amount of chocolate.

Enrobers should also have pre-bottomers and de-tailers so I would not "settle" for having a foot around the pieces.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores