bloom from a peanut butter cup?

Amber Fawson
@amber-fawson
09/12/13 02:03:50AM
9 posts

Hi everyone. I'm working on a new product that has a peanut butter cup sitting on top of a block of solid chocolate. I was surprised to find that, after making a few batches, the block of chocolate bloomed after just a week or two, sort of dusty-looking bloom right around where the peanut butter cup sits. I'm sourcing all-natural peanut butter cups from one of our product providers and am just trying to understand why the chocolate in their peanut butter cups doesn't bloom, but our block of chocolate beneath the cup does. I would love and appreciate any tips or hints! Thank you!!

updated by @amber-fawson: 04/28/15 03:26:35AM
Andrea B
@andrea-bauer
09/12/13 10:47:39AM
92 posts
What else is in your peanut butter? You are correct that this should not be happening. As I'm sure you are aware there is a lot of oil in peanut butter so the bloom you are seeing is probably a result of the fat.. You should be able to resolve this issue and still be all natural. Chances are that the ones you sourced have something in them that helps prevent this.Andrea
Amber Fawson
@amber-fawson
09/12/13 01:33:46PM
9 posts

Hi Andrea,

Thank you so much for your reply!

It looks like the ingredients for the peanut butter are peanuts, sugar, palm kernel oil, lactose, salt, and soy lecithin. The chocolate is listed as having anhydrous milk fat in it, which I've never seen before?

Thank you! I so appreciate you taking a moment.

Amber

Andrea B
@andrea-bauer
09/12/13 04:09:56PM
92 posts

Amber,

Your reply pops up and then quickly disappears. I've tried on 2 computers to read it. As best as I can tell there arequite a fewingredients in your purchased peanut butter cups (all natural yes, but I think it could still be "cleaner").

Depending on what exactly you are trying to accomplish with your finished product you could probably do a variation of Wybauw's recipe that calls for cocoa butter and confectioner's sugar in addition to a bit of salt and the peanut butter. I do a filled bonbon using this formulation (using all-natural peanut butter with nothing extra added). I had some sit basically all summer (no AC and lots of 90 degree days where it probably reached 80 inside) and I didn't see any fat migration/bloom until after probably 3 months - long after when it should/could be sold.

Not sure about the milk fat. Did I see it say anhydrous before it disappeared on me? If so then it probably serves as a preservative. It could also contribute to mouth feel - it might make it more creamy.

Hope this helps,

Andrea

Scott
@scott
09/12/13 04:52:44PM
44 posts

What you're seeing is fat migration. (For a brief explanation with photo, see Note 13 in this item on gianduia: http://dallasfood.org/2011/08/gianduia-gianduja-nutella-part-29/ .) The chocolate around your store-bought peanut butter cup is engineered to better withstand and/or conceal the movement of oil. The block of chocolate you're putting it on is not.

Amber Fawson
@amber-fawson
09/12/13 05:12:22PM
9 posts

Andrea,

That is so good of you to go to the trouble to see my reply--or glimpses of it rather! Thank you! (I am not sure why my reply disappeared but to type this I'm trying a new computer at least!)

That is very helpful info about Wybauw's recipe, and it would be wonderful to have something cleaner. I'm amazed and encouraged about the shelf life.

And yes, the chocolate is listed as having anhydrous milk fat (the peanut butter has peanuts, sugar, palm kernel oil, lactose, salt, and soy lecithin).

Thank you so much for this!! It is so appreciated.

Amber

Amber Fawson
@amber-fawson
09/12/13 05:12:43PM
9 posts

Thank you so much, Scott! I am on my way over to do some reading right now.

Kai Kronfield
@kai-kronfield
09/16/13 09:36:43PM
5 posts

Wow. Talk about a treasure trove of gianduiotto information. Fascinating. I'm getting some TGL and giving it a shot.

*here goes nothing*

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores