gritty chocolate

Chef Harold
@chef-harold
11/18/13 12:22:08AM
7 posts

as I'm tempering chocolate in my Rev X machine I follow the directions to the letter. when I make my confections they look great the first couple of days but seem to become gritty after a few days. Not sure if it's the tempering process, the way i cool the chocolate or the temperature the chocolate is stored in after I package it. Frustrated and need some help.

Harold

updated by @chef-harold: 04/18/15 07:37:25AM
Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
11/18/13 04:02:14AM
527 posts

You are not tempering your chocolate correctly.

It probably looks wickedly shiny and awesome on the outsideat first, and then a couple of days later the inside gets grainy. Simply put: It wasn't in temper when you molded it.

Riadh Falvo
@riadh-falvo
11/19/13 04:06:50PM
4 posts

I was taught to test your temper by inserting the tip of a metal teaspoon. Dip, shake off, and set it aside to observe how quickly it hardens. Check for the very things you described above, if swirls or matte finish is present, you can try stirring your chocolate and testing again until you get that snappy clean shiny finish!

Store dry and on the cooler side.

Hope that helps!

Chef Harold
@chef-harold
11/19/13 10:17:02PM
7 posts
Thanks guys I'm going to try that method tonight. I think I'm having trouble with my tempering machine. Even though its dummy proof that shinny snap isn't happening. I was reading and I think it because how I'm cooling it I'm putting in the freezer for ten mins.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores