Display boxes for chocolate bars

Meira Neggaz
@meira-neggaz
01/16/14 10:16:18PM
6 posts

Hi everyone,

We are a small chocolate company based out of DC - we are looking for ideas on displaying our bars. We have a few stores who have improvised displays of our bars - in baskets, or in tea type boxes, or on risers, but now some new stores selling our bars are asking us to find display options. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, does anyone know where to get boxes made to house bars as they do in bigger stores - like a box that holds 10 quantity where the front rips off and can be used as a display? If so, any idea on cost?

Thanks so much,
Meira

updated by @meira-neggaz: 06/29/23 06:49:02PM
Wannabe Chocolatier
@wannabe-chocolatier
02/23/14 07:41:06PM
6 posts

Hi Meira, i just spot your question , Im currently on the same situation. I will try to implement a kind of gourmet chocolate bar and will try for a second time to distribute ( 1st time truffles) and has always though how to get gourmet branding competing in a candy store. Kind of difficult.

So i came with a solution , buy some acrylic display and made a custom designed for it. I attached the idea .

I will like to know to what type of businness are you distributing currently and how everything is going so far.

Meira Neggaz
@meira-neggaz
03/02/14 08:54:43PM
6 posts

Thanks for sharing this - that seems like a great solution!!! We still haven't found a perfect solution, I am still searching. We have called a few companies to see if we can get point of purchase boxes made for a reasonable price. We have also started to seek out already made options - from cleardisplays.com, from cardboarddisplays.com. But so far, haven't found anything that really works for our bars. If anyone else has any suggestions, let us know!! Nice to know I am not the only one with this problem.

Shalini Latour
@shalini-latour
07/22/14 10:08:16AM
7 posts

Hi Meira

I currently wooden display cases. I fix up wooden CD case and just stamp my company name on them. I like them because they last and there is less waste. I am attaching the picture. But as increase distribution I am getting requests for the cardboard display boxes too. Did you have any luck finding a company to make them? I would love leads! 470-chocolatebars.jpg?width=721

Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
07/29/14 07:39:59PM
28 posts

Hello Shalini,

I'm a real newby and just trying to get going. Your display looked great and is something I can easily make, I make displays for my coffee now. My question is how you do the rest of your packaging? It appears as though maybe foil with a paper sleeve? Is this something you came up with or is there a company that makes these components. I guess I would need to know the mold necessary too. I currently only have a 1 oz mold.

Gabriel3
@gabriel3
08/05/14 05:00:46PM
8 posts

That is really cool, it's similar to what my company use. Have you considered putting stamps covering more of the wood, saying things like, High cocoa content, fairtrade etc It could help it stand out even more.

Gabriel3
@gabriel3
08/05/14 05:05:49PM
8 posts

I would Just have a search on Alibaba for export cartoons as I think thats what you mean as opposed to product stands. Then when you have found a factory get it customized.

Mack Ransom
@mack-ransom
08/11/14 02:54:43PM
34 posts

Hi Meira,

I too am curious about the paper sleeve (wrapper) on your bars.

Can you tell us who makes them and perhaps costs?

I currently make my own wrappers by hand, but am looking for a commercial source.

Thank you!

Mack

Shalini Latour
@shalini-latour
08/11/14 03:10:13PM
7 posts

I just made it up! No company to share with you. I am sorry.

Mack Ransom
@mack-ransom
08/11/14 03:15:08PM
34 posts

Hi again Shalini, you print these wrappers yourself? That is what I am asking, you print yourself? Or do you have it printed by a commercial source?

I make mine by using light weight photo paper, cut them, and glue them on. Is this what you do ?

Thanks again,

Mack

Gabriel3
@gabriel3
08/11/14 03:19:13PM
8 posts

Hi,

468-10511090_258914727633267_2719857627079085082_n.jpg?width=721 So what is it you want to know? This is my product stand for my company - I know it needs a bit of work but we have only been going for a month.

Shalini Latour
@shalini-latour
08/11/14 03:19:40PM
7 posts

I have a local printer print and cut them for me, then yes i use glue. I started with printing and cutting myself but that got old fast.

Shalini Latour
@shalini-latour
08/11/14 03:20:50PM
7 posts

Looks great!

Shalini Latour
@shalini-latour
08/11/14 03:21:44PM
7 posts

great idea I will look into it! Thank you.

Mack Ransom
@mack-ransom
08/11/14 03:22:02PM
34 posts

Yes, that is my next step, once I stop changing my wrapper designs that is!

Thanks!

Gabriel3
@gabriel3
08/11/14 03:23:31PM
8 posts

Can I ask what glue you use? I am still using tape and the bigger stores are not impressed! I can't find glue that drys quickly enough though...

Mack Ransom
@mack-ransom
08/11/14 03:24:17PM
34 posts

Hi Gabriel, I am curious how you make your wrapper, do you have printer or a commercial wrapper company who makes them, or do you print yourself too?

I am also curious about your sleeve around your bar, is it separate from the wrapper with the logo. I can't tell from the photo if it is all one piece or two.

Thanks!

Mack

Shalini Latour
@shalini-latour
08/11/14 03:24:34PM
7 posts

Very high tech, glue sticks!

Gabriel3
@gabriel3
08/11/14 03:25:51PM
8 posts

brand name? :)

Shalini Latour
@shalini-latour
08/11/14 03:27:37PM
7 posts

whatever is on sale

I've been look for more eco-friendly option let me know if you find one.

Mack Ransom
@mack-ransom
08/11/14 03:30:05PM
34 posts

I use a double sided tape that is micro thin and comes in a roller applicator. It leaves a sticky film, not really tape at all. Works great.

I apply in 3 spots along the seam to save tape. The product is sold at Staples and is called "Permanent Glue Tape".

I'll be curious as to what other TCL forum members use.

updated by @mack-ransom: 09/08/15 10:32:26PM
Gabriel3
@gabriel3
08/11/14 03:32:42PM
8 posts

Hi Mack,

They are separate. The base layer is wax paper which is put on with a machine using heat to crimp the edges together. The sleeve or label is just a sheet of high quality recycled paper that I stick on with sellotape.

You can study one in detail - if you buy one! :)

It's a very cheap method but I feel it matches the current 'rustic' trends or fashion if you like. Remember though I have designed this for the British market so not sure just how well it would work abroad...

Regards

Gabriel

Gabriel3
@gabriel3
08/11/14 03:34:29PM
8 posts

Thanks I will look into it. Both the double sided tape and the glue.

Potomac Chocolate
@ben-rasmussen
08/11/14 07:18:38PM
191 posts

I've used various glues as well as a couple different 'glue tape' type things. The best I've found so far is the Scotch Tape Glider:

http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Advanced-Glider-4-Inch-36-Yard/dp/B00409NNYM/ref=pd_bxgy_ac_text_y

The applicator is very handy when doing a lot of wrappers, and the tape is less expensive than any of the others I've tried.

Meira Neggaz
@meira-neggaz
08/11/14 09:18:21PM
6 posts

Hi Mark - we originally used an online option called uprinting - we now may move to using someone local for our next round - but Uprinting was actually fairly decently prices (I think maybe $30 for 500 if I remember correctly?? There is a local designer attached to our kitchen space who suggested we use uprinting. We have had some administrative problems with them, but their prints are nice and well priced.

Mack Ransom
@mack-ransom
08/11/14 11:20:42PM
34 posts

Thank you Meira. I just sent them an email to get a price quote.

What weight of paper did you use? I currently use 32# paper, hope to get a slightly lighter paper.

Mack Ransom
@mack-ransom
08/12/14 01:01:40PM
34 posts

Hi Gabriel,

I missed seeing your reply yesterday. Wax paper, wow! Do you mean it is not a pre-pared sleeve, but a sheet your wrap and seal? Looks good either way. Do you do your own printing on the recycled paper? What weight is the recycled paper?

Best,

Mack

Meira Neggaz
@meira-neggaz
08/12/14 04:36:06PM
6 posts

Hmm, that is a good question. I am actually unsure as our designer had uploaded it all and specified what we wanted. We have been happy with the quality, but it is true, the paper is not super thin.

Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
08/18/14 06:29:42PM
28 posts

Does anyone know of a source for pre cut aluminum foil squares? Not really square, rectangle 4" X 6" to wrap chocolate?

Mack Ransom
@mack-ransom
08/18/14 07:08:26PM
34 posts

Jim, I buy mine from Bags for Gifts online.

Low prices and fast service. Its paper back foil I buy, but they offer foil too.

Here is a link:

http://www.bagsforgifts.com/candy-foil-c-57.html

Look around their web site.

Best of luck!

Meira Neggaz
@meira-neggaz
08/18/14 08:28:12PM
6 posts

We use alufoil, www.alufoil.com . They have different colors (we use blue) and can do custom sizes for a very good price.

Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
09/12/14 10:25:23AM
28 posts

466-P1080997.jpg?width=721

Jim Cameron
@jim-cameron
09/12/14 10:28:31AM
28 posts

Hello, not sure if anyone is still watching this thread but I have gone from not knowing a thing about packaging to having my bars on the market. Sold out in hours on the debut with a small store. This display, which I made, works well for horizontal labels.

Got sleeves, paper backed foil and am rocking. Now I need to up my production!!!

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores