Shelf stable semi sweet chocolate agave sauce?

Kelly Marley
@kelly-marley
03/03/14 07:16:50PM
3 posts

I am jarring a dark chocolate semi sweet sauce and the ingredients are semi sweet chocolate, agave syrup, and sea salt. Will this be shelf stable? Is there something I can add or do to make it more shelf stable?

Any suggestions or ideas are most appreciated.

Thank you,

Kelly

updated by @kelly-marley: 04/17/15 01:27:50AM
Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
03/03/14 08:21:41PM
194 posts

Get the water activity checked, then you will know.

Kelly Marley
@kelly-marley
03/03/14 09:06:59PM
3 posts

Thank you Ruth. Do you know the most economical way to get that done? Where would water be found in those ingredients?

Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
03/03/14 10:52:22PM
194 posts

You can get the product tested at most State Agriculture Colleges, or buy your own meter. It isn't a matter of water in the recipe, but available moisture for the bacteria and mold to live on.

Sweet matter physicist
@sweet-matter-physicist
03/04/14 05:37:05AM
8 posts

I would strongly guess that it will have a long shelf life. As Ruth said, one way to know for sure is to test the water activity and if that's low enough, no microbes will be able to grow in your sauce. Some more thoughts:

The only ingredient you add that really contains water is the agave syrup, so I expect the final product to be at least similarly long lasting than the agave syrup you use, at least in terms of 'spoilage' (the water activity tells you nothing about product deterioration through oxidation or sugar crystallization). The salt you add also helps to increase shelf life. I doubt that you need to add more things to make it stable. More crucial might be the way you process it (Do you heat or cook it during processing? Is it kept in airtight jars?).

Kelly Marley
@kelly-marley
03/04/14 03:23:23PM
3 posts

Thank you for your comments. I was with the same thinking that the shelf life should be along the same line as the agave I was using.

I am melting the chocolate and then putting it in airtight jars. I saw something about heating the jars in an oven for a certain amount of time to really clean them. Is that suggested? Also if I am putting hot chocolate/agave mixture into a jar and sealing immediately, won't condensation occur?

Thank you for your advice and suggestions.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores