Cocoatown Melanger Chocolate tastes like burnt rubber

jessica@graciaschocolate.com
@jessica-osterday
04/18/14 02:07:49AM
1 posts

Im using the recipe that I normally use in my new Melanger. Im having serious issues. Melanger chocolate tastes like burnt rubber after a few hours in the new machine.

Has anyone experienced this? Is this just because its new?

updated by @jessica-osterday: 04/19/15 07:31:25PM
Clement Olando Bobb
@clement-olando-bobb
04/18/14 07:37:42PM
9 posts

Not too familiar with Cocoatown machines, but you may need to tighten the belt. Ben Rasmusen of Ptomac Chocolate recommends changing rubber belts to fiberglass. Take a look at his site or DIY on this blog. Good luck !!!

jessica@graciaschocolate.com
@jessica-osterday
04/18/14 08:22:45PM
1 posts

Clement,

As I understand it, that is true of the older machines, but they upgraded the factory belts on the Cocoatowns a while back. So, I dont not think it is the belt.

I actually sent the machine back to Cocoatown when I first received it, because it was giving off such a strong odor. They did extensive tests and said it was running fine, however it is really altering the flavor of the chocolate.

Thanks so much for your input,

Jessica

Andal Balu
@andal-balu
07/13/14 10:31:13PM
16 posts

We did a couple of batches of chocolate in the machine returned and we could not reproduce the rubber smell. We even tried using the machine in a closed room for 24 hours. We also talked to few of our customers and they do not recall having such a problem. One possibility we can think of is that the recipe you are using may be more viscous than normal and strains the belt.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores