Bakon 123 vs Mol d'Art melter

Stephen Cobb
@stephen-cobb
06/05/14 07:05:38PM
10 posts

I'm looking at buying my first melter, simply to melt and not temper, likely the Bakon 123 Mini or Mol d'Art 6kg, and I'm curious if anyone has had experience with both. Pros & cons...

Also, if you've got something to sell, feel free to message me.

Thank you!!

updated by @stephen-cobb: 04/20/15 11:38:10PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
06/07/14 03:32:24PM
1,680 posts

Both are very simple machines when you get right down to it. The major difference in price is that the outer shell of the Mol d'Arts are made from plastic and the Bakons are all stainless steel. There have been some reports that the thermostats of the Mol d'Arts are not as robust (or accurate) as they could be.

So, you are getting when you pay for when you get a Bakon. Another source for similar machines that could be slightly cheaper is Desin et Realization (DR.ca).

I know people who use standard buffet warmers and regular hotel pans (make sure to get one that does not require water). These have the advantage of being very cheap but the temperature controls are not all that precise. If you can get a two-input PID controller you can put one probe on the heating element to keep it from getting too hot and the other in the chocolate to control the temperature.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
Stephen Cobb
@stephen-cobb
06/08/14 06:21:21PM
10 posts

Nice, thanks Clay, was hoping you'd have some input. Seems like my options start at $618 (tcfsales.com) for the 6kg MdA and go up to around a grand for the Bakon that's twice that size. Usually I'm into DIY, but will probably save that for when I'm more familiar with these things :)

Stephen Cobb
@stephen-cobb
08/26/15 01:42:58PM
10 posts

FYI, have been using the 12kg Mol d'Art melter for a while now and love it!

Brad Churchill
@brad-churchill
08/26/15 06:06:33PM
527 posts

If you're not looking to temper the chocolate - simply melt it, then two stock pots will easily do what you need.  I've melted thousands of pounds of cocoa butter this way.

One large stock pot holds the water, and the other (slightly smaller) sits in it with the water going up the side of the smaller one about 6 inches.

This is simply the layman's version of a $8,000 water jacketed Savage Melter.

You don't even need the expensive kind of stock pots.  Jut make sure they are stainless steel.  I think mine cost me about $50 each 7 years ago.

No need to buy a fancy machine if you are just melting chocolate.

Brad

updated by @brad-churchill: 08/26/15 06:07:04PM

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores