Chocolate Ganache question

Bryan
@bryan
07/10/14 12:19:59AM
21 posts
I recently tried to make two different ganaches one with dark and one with white chocolate. I did a 4 to 1 ratio chocolate to cream into order to make the ganache stuff so I can cut it with a knife into squares and did them. My problems1. The white chocolate ganache wouldn't harden unless I put it in the fridge and when I took it out it went soft again. How do I make it stiffen at room temperature?2. I had the exact same problem with the dark chocolate but it was a tiny bit stiffer but still I had to chill it to make it stiff.The way I made these is I boiled the cream and poured it over the chocolate pieces. When melted I stirred and poured into a pan and let cool. How do I fix these problems? I want to be able to handle the ganache and work with it.
updated by @bryan: 04/10/15 11:43:37AM
Ruth Atkinson Kendrick
@ruth-atkinson-kendrick
07/10/14 08:57:04AM
194 posts

4 to 1 ratio for dark chocolate is overkill. 2 to 1 is more realistic. Are you adding other ingredients? What is the temp of your ganache? Putting in fridge temporarily helps, but it will soften more when you bring it to room temp. Try to not get your chocolate out of temper and it will set up nicely at room temp. White chocolate is a bit trickier. 3 or 4 to 1 is normal. I start with melted white chocolate and pour the cream over it at about 115F. What is the cocoa butter content of your chocolate? It is the CB that sets the ganache.

Bryan
@bryan
07/10/14 01:22:15PM
21 posts
See I was not checking the temp of the cream when I poured it over the chocolate so I melt the chocolate at a temp that won't lose the temper then mix the cream in ?

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores