Alternative sugars used?

Sandy Phillips
@sandy-phillips
08/20/14 02:21:18PM
11 posts

Hi everyone,

We have been asked many times to make a chocolate that diabetics can have, and I understand beet sugar works well for that purpose. Has anyone here tried using beet sugar in their chocolate? Or have you tried coconut sugar as well?

Thanks!

updated by @sandy-phillips: 04/09/15 12:59:34PM
Landen Zernickow
@landen-z
08/22/14 12:27:30AM
1 posts

Hi Sandy! We haven't tried fruit sugar, but we've tried the difference between Stevia, cane sugar, and raw sugar. Check out our post on Rootchocolate.com here: http://rootchocolate.com/2014/08/08/sugar-sugar/

Fanny-Min Becker
@fanny-min-becker
08/22/14 12:13:11PM
2 posts

Yes, coconut sugar, or granulated coconut nectar. Pure Cacao + Granulated Coco Nectar. Our (fair trade) producer has been making them since 2009. They are wonderful!

http://www.fair-and-healthy.com/blog/2009/03/11/healthy-chocolate/

Fanny-Min BECKER

Sebastian
@sebastian
08/22/14 03:50:31PM
754 posts

Remember, as far as the human body metabolism goes, sugar is sugar. if you're marketing directly for a diabetic market, please be sure you understand the impact of glycemic index and sugars (pretty much any of the pentoses and hexoses - such as sucrose) will impact insulin levels regardless of if it comes from cane, beet, coconuts, or maple trees. The body will see no difference between sugar in the raw, granulated white sugar, cane sugar, beet sugar, etc. High potency sweeteners such as stevia, are an entirely different class of compounds, and as such, the body metabolizes them differently. Lots of info here on these topics already, i'd encourage you to sift through the forums.

Gap
@gap
08/23/14 02:47:25AM
182 posts

Here's a good place to start: http://chocolatetalk.proboards.com/thread/391

Ernesto Bugarin Pantua Jr.
@ernesto-bugarin-pantua-jr
08/23/14 07:29:26AM
24 posts

yeah we are producing chocolates sweetened with coconut sugar 60% & 70% Chocolate bars plain & spicy.

Ernesto

LLY
@lly
04/09/16 10:13:25AM
52 posts

Coconut sugar in dark chocolate?

In my experience even 15% of sugar has a really bad taste and strong aftertaste.

However, in milk/white chocolate you don't feel the aftertaste, it's like the milk powder "engulf" the coconut sugar taste.

I'm now tring to make chocolate and spread using coconut sugar or xylitol, as I suspect dark chocolate is unfit to coconut sugar while in spreads and milk/white chocolates it can be replaced (in white chocolate the color is very strong so I will try the xylitol)

updated by @lly: 04/11/16 10:11:19AM

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores