What to use if there is no rich cream available

Erika Reich
@erika-reich
08/28/14 10:04:49AM
2 posts
Dear chocolatiers, Im Erika Reich and I have my small chocolate manufacture in Iran (Tehran), which I started a year ago. There are some ingredients (for ganache making) which is difficult to find here. Like rich cream. The fat contant of the creams are 25-30% . Receipes often call for 35-38%. How can I make my ganache richer? Can I use oil (like canola, or olive oil)?Thanks
updated by @erika-reich: 04/27/15 01:01:43AM
Andrea B
@andrea-bauer
08/28/14 10:32:15AM
92 posts
I would not substitute all oil to replace cream. You will need to experiment with the proportions, but you can use canned coconut milk and some amount of coconut oil. Definitely do not use canola or olive oil. I've found that even the most mild olive oil has too strong a taste for ganaches/fillings and canola oil can leave an off-putting after taste.Andrea
Erika Reich
@erika-reich
08/28/14 04:34:02PM
2 posts
Thank you Andrea!
Gap
@gap
08/28/14 05:47:58PM
182 posts

I would add butter for the additional fat.

Sebastian
@sebastian
08/28/14 07:13:44PM
754 posts

I'd second this. Erika what types of fat are regularly available to you?

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores