confusion about chocolates

Rashmi Anand
@rashmi-anand
09/27/14 06:59:39AM
5 posts
friends am new in the field of chocolate moulding. did a short course where I learnt to do different types of chocolates using 70 % dark and milk compound chocolate. However where I live in Ghana compounds are not available and unknowingly bought the 50% dark callebaut and 30% milk callebaut. .Now I am in a soup because one it is very expensive and I have invested the money and secondly I don't know how to use this is the correct way. I would be grateful if someone could guide me on the correct method. Really would be grateful.
updated by @rashmi-anand: 04/15/15 08:54:22AM
Larry2
@larry2
09/28/14 09:02:14AM
110 posts
Rashimi,There is nothing to worry about. The difference between compound coating and real chocolate is the type of fat used. Real chocolate will have cocoa butter which requires it to be handled differently.With chocolate you need to temper it to make it set up.There are several ways to temper chocolate. The seed method of Temperring is done by gently heating the chocolate, then adding some unmelted new chocolate as seed to cool it down. The tableing method involves gently heating the chocolate, then pouring 1/3 of if on a stone slab (marble, granite,,,) then scrape the chocolate and stir it on the slab til it cools a bit. Then add the chocolate back to the bowl and stir it in.Temperatures are very important, so a good thermometer will be valuable.There are lots of good videos and articles about tempering. Here is one I like. http://www.chocolatealchemy.com/illustrated-tempering I would practice tempering with the chocolate by filling the molds and letting the chocolate cool until you can get them to come out if the mold cleanly and with a pretty shine. You can remelt the molded chocolate so there isn't waste that way.I think you will enjoy the taste of real chocolate more, but it is more difficult to work with.Also, try to keep the chocolate cool and dry.Welcom to The Chocolate Life. :)Larry
Rashmi Anand
@rashmi-anand
09/29/14 03:07:29PM
5 posts
thank you so much Larry. You have definitely put my mind at rest. And am definitely going to give it a try. I was worried that I had wasted all my money as I wont be able to handle the chocolate well. But your reply has surely given me a confidence to try it out.One more thing I would like to ask is that generally what should be the percentage of dark and milk chocolate while moulding. (for the 70% compound I was using the proportion of 3:1)Will it be different for the 50% dark and 30% milk.Thank you
Larry2
@larry2
09/29/14 06:14:22PM
110 posts

I don't understand what you mean about the percentage. Are you making a ganache? so with a compound you would use 3 parts chocolate to 1 part cream?

- If that is what you are asking, I'll defer to the more experience members of the chocolate life for that answer. We don't make any ganache center chocolates right now.

Searching this website will behelpful for that.

Thanks

Rashmi Anand
@rashmi-anand
09/29/14 06:57:22PM
5 posts
I am not making ganache. I was thinking of mixing the dark chocolate with the milk chocolate

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores