adding flavorings - help needed

Cary Chilton
@cary-chilton
12/06/14 01:19:32PM
2 posts

I haven't gotten a level where I am producing the chocolate in my kitchen.... rather my homemade chocolates are just melted down dark chocolate blends.So I am a definite beginner.

My question is how do I add almond or peppermint to my melted chocolate? Most extracts I have seen (clubhouse etc) have water and alcohol. Unfortunately, I already learned what that does to cooking chocolate! :( I did a search for peppermint oil or almond oil and all I could find is essential oil for aromatherapy! hehe What do I do / buy?

Thank you

Merry Christmas / Joyeux Noel

updated by @cary-chilton: 04/12/15 06:10:43AM
Larry2
@larry2
12/06/14 01:48:05PM
110 posts

We use LorAnn oils.Several stores sell them, or you could get them online. http://shop.lorannoils.com/chocolates/super-strength-flavors/1-dram...

They are much, much cheaper than the "Super Healthy, Super Duper, Super Commissioned" essential oils.

I couldn't speak to if one is better than the other.

Note: some are oils, some are flavors with water & alcohol.

Cary Chilton
@cary-chilton
12/06/14 01:58:14PM
2 posts

thanks - since water and alcohol turns melted down chocolate into flaky hard mud . ... how could extracts with water or alcohol be used if at all?

Larry2
@larry2
12/06/14 05:09:31PM
110 posts
Don't use the alcohol or water ones. Use the oil ones.Just pay attention when ordering. ;)
Ilya Snowdon
@ilya-snowdon
07/06/15 09:04:28AM
20 posts

if you use Organic essential oils you can be confident they will be food safe, with no traces of pesticides or chemicals. 

Sebastian
@sebastian
07/06/15 06:37:46PM
754 posts

your alcohol based flavors will be fine.  use oil soluable if you can find them, but if not, alcohol based will work just fine.

Ilya Snowdon
@ilya-snowdon
07/06/15 11:01:34PM
20 posts

You don't need to use the alcohol ones. The alcohol is added to make the essential oil water soluble when used in other cooking applications.

Chocolate is a fat mass which means the flavoring doesn't need to be soluble.

Sebastian
@sebastian
07/07/15 01:18:52PM
754 posts

Actually, the alcohol is there because alcohol extracts flavors much differently than does water.  It's a much more effective solvent, and as such the types of flavors you get with alcohol extractions are very different than what you find with water extractions.

You will need to decide for yourself which is better.  Alcohol based flavors are used every day in large scale chocolate manufacture.

Larry2
@larry2
07/07/15 04:40:11PM
110 posts

That is really neat. I had always heard to use oil based flavorings/colorings for chocolate. I'll play with alcohol flavorings. This will be fun. :) Thanks for the insight Sebastian.

Sebastian
@sebastian
07/07/15 08:01:57PM
754 posts

Just make sure you're not using water soluble flavors - sometimes folks get mixed up and use the two interchangably..

Ilya Snowdon
@ilya-snowdon
07/08/15 06:24:42AM
20 posts

Sebastian:
Actually, the alcohol is there because alcohol extracts flavors much differently than does water.  It's a much more effective solvent, and as such the types of flavors you get with alcohol extractions are very different than what you find with water extractions.   You will need to decide for yourself which is better.  Alcohol based flavors are used every day in large scale chocolate manufacture.

No, the original extraction might have been by steam distillation or expression. While things like vanilla will often be extracted by alcohol or Co2.

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores