Rev Delta baffle sensor repair

David Menkes
@david-menkes
01/28/15 01:15:09AM
32 posts

Greetings o chocomasters!

I recently bought a used Rev Delta and received a bunch of baffles. One of the baffles has a slight "burned" dark splotch over one of the two metallic sensors that touch the base (which tells the machine the baffle is installed correctly). So if I try to use that particular baffle, after about 5-6 minutes the drum stops and the alarm sounds with the LED warning ***PLEASE REPLACE BAFFLE*** even though it's screwed down all the way. I've tried (with more or less success) to unscrew it slightly which seems to help for a few minutes, but then it stops and gives the error message again. Using other baffles works just fine. When I emailed ChocoVision, they told me that the baffles can't be repaired and I have to buy a new baffle. Boo.

Anyone have any luck with this?

updated by @david-menkes: 04/09/15 08:18:24PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
01/29/15 01:15:39PM
1,680 posts

David -

Baffles cannot be easily repaired as the wires are epoxied into the baffle. Whatever is causing the short is probably buried somewhere between the sensor and the contact wires. Troubleshooting is hard because you have to disassemble the baffle to find the cause of the short.

As you bought a used machine, Chocovision is not obligated to honor any warranty. Did you ask for a good price? Try looking for parts on eBay, too.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
clay - http://www.thechocolatelife.com/clay/
David Menkes
@david-menkes
01/29/15 01:36:41PM
32 posts

Yeah we got it for $1k and it included several baffles so we're not dead in the water by any means. Was just curious if anyone had attempted to fix one yet. Another in a long line of fixit projects...

Clay Gordon
@clay
01/29/15 03:04:36PM
1,680 posts

David -

If/when you do, document it in photos and post an instructable. You can use the new photo galleries to do this. Title each image with the name of the step - Chocovision Rev Delta Baffle Repair - Step 1 - and so on. And put the text in the description. When viewed in Lightbox mode it becomes a step-by-step guide to repairing the baffle.

--
David Menkes
@david-menkes
01/29/15 04:27:22PM
32 posts
I'll definitely do that! Was actually going to do this for swapping out gears/belt on a Premier Wonder grinder as they seem to be used everywhere now.
updated by @david-menkes: 01/29/15 04:27:45PM
Clay Gordon
@clay
01/30/15 12:22:53PM
1,680 posts

David -

I am sure that everyone here on TheChocolateLife (and elsewhere) would appreciate an instructable on these sorts of repairs and maintenance. Looking forward to seeing the first.

--
David Menkes
@david-menkes
01/30/15 12:53:40PM
32 posts

I ended up swapping the belt and gears on a Wonder last night and took lots of photos. Will post this weekend!

Dave Huston
@dave-huston
01/30/15 07:35:10PM
4 posts

Something you could try, if you haven't already, is to use some fine sand paper to sand away the dark blotch on the metal connector.  That could fix your issue.  Or...there's a product called DexoIT electrical contact cleaner that you could use on it prior to any sandpapering.  You may just have a bad electrical contact due to oxidation.

David Menkes
@david-menkes
01/30/15 10:16:21PM
32 posts

Hey Dave,

Yeah I was thinking about that - I figure there's no harm in experimenting since it's a spare baffle anyway. Will definitely post results once I try!

David Menkes
@david-menkes
02/02/15 02:21:32AM
32 posts

Okay I threw something temporary together for the Premier gear/belt replacement - feedback welcome! I would like to know if there's a better thread to post this so please let me know. Thanks!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Premier-Wonder-Grinder-Repair-Belts-and-Gears/

Clay Gordon
@clay
02/02/15 12:11:35PM
1,680 posts

David -

I was thinking you could post it in the DIY group. You have all the formatting tools necessary to do this. There is even a page break you can insert so that you can put each step on its own page.

If you like, I can recreate the instructable for you, as a guide to others.

--

Tags

Member Marketplace

Activity

Keith Ayoob

@keith-ayoob • 2 months ago • comments: 0
Posted a response to "Raw Cacao Beans vs 100% Dark Chocolate"
"@joe-john, I'd like to weigh in on this.  First, some of the nutritional info you post there is reasonable, some is not -- and that's not unusual...."
Tet Kay

@tet-kay • 6 months ago • comments: 0
Xocol855

@xocol855 • 3 years ago
Created a new forum topic:
slaviolette

@slaviolette • 4 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new discussion "Cost of goods produced":
"Hi Everyone, Been a long time member but I have not been in in a few years, the fact is that I had to close down my small chocolate business.. but now is..."
chocolatelover123

@chocolatelover123 • 5 years ago • comments: 0
Created a new forum topic:
New Chocolate Brand - "Palette"
Marita Lores

Marita Lores